St. Maarten dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mac66

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Was in St. Maarten on the RCI Allure last week and booked a two tank dive through Aqua Mania/Dive Adventures. Their shop is a short walk (10 minutes) from the port.

Interestingly enough there was a group going out at the same time who booked through the two ships in port. There were 12 people on that boat. Our boat have five divers on it. I was off one of the ships but booked it privately.

The seas were pretty rough/high waves and the current was pretty strong but we got in two dives, one was Jib Jab, the other was Gregory.

The DM did a good job of keeping us together in that this was my first certified dive. I enjoyed it and had no problem keeping up with the other divers.

I also got a chance to try out my new/cheap (Neosport ) 3m full wetsuit and booties. When i did my open water classes i froze in the water using a shorty, so i picked up a full wetsuit to use. I will probably only dive on cruises 2-3 times a year so i didnt need an expensive WS. I was very comfortable in it.

Was in St. Maarten on the RCI Allure last week and booked a two tank dive through Aqua Mania/Dive Adventures. Their shop is a short walk (10 minutes) from the port.

Interestingly enough there was a group going out at the same time who booked through the two ships in port. There were 12 people on that boat. Our boat have five divers on it. I was off one of the ships but booked it privately.

The seas were pretty rough/high waves and the current was pretty strong but we got in two dives, one was Jib Jab, the other was Gregory.

The DM did a good job of keeping us together in that this was my first certified dive. I enjoyed it and had no problem keeping up with the other divers.

I also got a chance to try out my new/cheap (Neosport ) 3m full wetsuit and booties. When i did my open water classes i froze in the water using a shorty, so i picked up a full wetsuit to use. I will probably only dive on cruises 2-3 times a year so i didnt need an expensive WS. I was very comfortable in it.

Did my dive in December with dive adventure. I was on symphony. We did the fish bowl and I forgot the second sight. The seas were super rough. The second we left the the protection of the island 13 out of 14 of us on the boat got sick. I made it through the first dive but fed the fishes a few times. The second dive I tried to do but just couldn’t stop throwing up in the water.

How was the sea life? Lots of fish and brilliant coral, or was it (still) devastated from the hurricane?

The sea was pretty rough. I've sailed on racing sailboats in rough seas but this was the first time i ever felt woozy. I never got sick but was better when i got back in the water after the first dive.

Saw sharks and turtles, some large schools of fish but nothing special.

I also got a chance to try out my SJ6 Legend camera. It's kind of a GoPro clone. It took great video but i had forgotten to change out the SD card in it before diving. The card was almost full so I only got about 20 mins on the card. Rookie mistake, i'll do better next time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom