St. Lucia trip report; Part VI and last

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tobagoman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Check my gallery soon for pictures from the trip!! Enjoy.

St. Lucia Trip Report

Saturday, April 30th.
We hung out at the pool all morning sunning ourselves then had lunch at the Mango Tree. Randy and Linda left at noon in a tropical downpour to return the jeep and catch their 2 p.m. flight to Philadelphia, leaving Sue and I to enjoy the solitude of the Plantation House for our last full day on the island. We played in the pool all afternoon drinking Pina Coladas and resees peanut butter cups, living the life of the rich and famous. The rain stopped around 1 p.m. and the sun came back out in all its steaming glory. That evening we walked over to Martha’s Table for dinner, where we had Creole chicken that was mouthwatering. If you ever make it to St. Lucia, you have to eat at Martha’s!

When we got back to the house, I spotted a large brown centipede, easily eight inches long crawling quickly across the floor. I grabbed my dive magazine to scoop it up and the critter zoomed up the magazine and onto my hand where it promptly bit down painfully below the knuckle of my index finger. The pain was excruciating and intense! The centipede dropped to the floor and took off (I later caught it in a towel and put it outside) and I looked at my rapidly swelling hand in amazement. Sue is a nurse and had me put some lime on the bite and ice it. We continued enjoying ourselves in the pool, despite the pain and ballooning of my hand. That night I went to bed with an icepack on my hand.

Sunday, May 1st.
It was our last day on the island and by that evening we would be back in Maryland. The pain in my hand was no where near as intense as it was the night before, but the swelling was enough that I couldn’t grasp with my fingers. I didn’t let it spoil the day as we laid out by the pool to read, soak up the sun and swim. By 11 am we were at the office checking out quickly and easily with Francisca, and loading into the car for our trip up to the airport at Castries. We left this paradise with the sun shinning hotly and soca music playing in the background. A fantastic – perfect vacation!!

The end

Wow, sounds like you had quite a time. St. Lucia is on my list.

Thanks for the report,
Caymaniac

I was there the same week and have to concur Superman's flight is a great dive. The current was running when we did it and to stop you had to duck behind a coral head, saw my first Hawks bill turtle there. The wreck had quiet a bit of life on it Parrot fish, scorpion fish, spotted ells, drum fish, green moray and the wheel house was full of sweepers.

Great write-up!! My wife and I are headed there the end of December for a LATE (9 years late) honeymoon and diving vacation. We've already made reservations at Stonefield Villas - we got the Jacaranda!! It looks SPETACULAR!! Glad to know you enjoyed it so much.

I was thinking of Scuba St. Lucia for diving, but I'll be checking out the other shop now... Any idea what their rental gear is like? I was also undecided on whether to rent a car or not, but will be looking at the jeep rental now as well. Any other tips? Things you would have done differently (other than avoiding centipedes)?

Cheers,
Vaughn

SeaLawyer:
Great write-up!! My wife and I are headed there the end of December for a LATE (9 years late) honeymoon and diving vacation. We've already made reservations at Stonefield Villas - we got the Jacaranda!! It looks SPETACULAR!! Glad to know you enjoyed it so much.

I was thinking of Scuba St. Lucia for diving, but I'll be checking out the other shop now... Any idea what their rental gear is like? I was also undecided on whether to rent a car or not, but will be looking at the jeep rental now as well. Any other tips? Things you would have done differently (other than avoiding centipedes)?

Cheers,
Vaughn

Vaughn,
I'm not sure of the prices of their rental gear or what brand it was, but it all looked well cared for. Not much else that I can add tip wise. Enjoy the island, I wish I was going back.

funkyspelunker:
Okay, but how about just the diving there? Is it good, great, or not worth going to for diving alone?

I would have to say that it is in my top 10 of diving destinations, and most of that is due to the diving. On a scale of 1 - 10 with 10 being out of this world spectacular, I would give it a 7. And the best places I have dove in the South Pacific I would only give a 9, and someplace like the better reefs in the Florida keys I would give a 5, so St. Lucia is up there!!!

Back
Top Bottom