St. Lucia recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wombat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We're planning to go dive at St. Lucia this spring; never been there, and looking at the various dive packages. Would appreciatiate positive or negative reports and advice from anybody who has been there recently. Thanks in advance.

Check out my trip report from this past April. http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=96355
You'll have to go through a list of all my posts to see each installment of the trip report.
We dove with Action Adventure dive shop in Soufriere's and they were the best! It is a small 6-pack outfit run by two locals. You wont be disappointed.

I personally look for somewhere else to go. I was there the end of July and stayed at Anse Chastenant. No AC and there were 300 stair steps from our bungalow to the beach/dive shop. There is a mini Van that goes around the grounds - that may be where we messed up and didn't check into making an appointment to be picked up.

The diving was just so so. I thought it had been completely fished out. I saw one angel fish (they are usually in pairs) and one med sized turtle on Turtle Reef. Our dives were limited to 40 minutes - we were lucky when we stretched it out to 43 mins. All our dives were DM led. The reef is quite narrow. We could go to Soufriere but when we did the Hotel sent an employee with whoever when in.

The ride from the Airport in Castris to Anse Chastenant should have told us a lot. It was about 20 miles and took us 90 minutes.

Just got back from St.Lucia last Saturday. We stayed at Sandals Halcyon and had a great time. We did all of our dives via all inclusive type deal with Sandals. Their dive outfit is O.K. Nice boats and friendly crews. They are a little too conservative on bottom times for me but not bad. Air hogs in the group kept bringing me up with 1100 to 1500psi. The afternoon shallow dives are nothing to write home about (Bay of Pigs). But the regular morning dives were great micro reef diving (Pitons area).

We opted for the extra $100 each day trip to Martinique and absolutely loved it. It included the hour boat ride, two tank dive trip (great diving), good picnic type food on the boat, a few hours shopping on the island, and free beer after diving and on the way home.

A word of warning...If your dive log is not present before your first dive with them. Or you have not been diving in the last 6 months. They will make you do a check-out dive in the pool. No big deal really. All you have to do is don your gear underwater in the pool.

The water off the beach at the Halcyon was a bit turbid because we got there after some pretty serious rain. The beach was ok though. You can always transfer to their other two resorts. The Grand and the Regency. Both have clear beach water but these resorts are a little too Disney Land polished for my taste.

I think they are still running their half price gig. They also have a full blown hurricane guarantee.

After learning of the allowance of whaling, turtle hunting, and increase in lobster season. I'm afraid I must withdraw and recommendation for St. Lucia.

I just got back from St Lucia after having done an open water referral plus a few other dives with Scuba St Lucia at Anse Chastanet. Since I don't have much diving experience, I can't offer a meaningful comparison. I can say that from our standpoint, the operation at Anse Chastanet was top notch. The gear seemed to be well looked after and the instructors and divemasters were very professional and knowledgable.

We stayed at Stonefield Estates and were more than pleased with the hospitality.

Back
Top Bottom