St. John Diving Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cburns

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm attending a wedding in St. John, USVI at the end of October and will be making my first dive as an Open Water Diver. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a reputable dive shop that is "newbie" friendly. I want to make sure that my first dive trip is memorable and enjoyable leading to a lifetime of GREAT dive experiences.

Thanks for any advice you might have to share,

chris

Low Key is a good group. I dove Mongo Cay and Carval Rock with them several years ago.

My very first dives were from the Caneel Bay local dive op. We did Mongo Cay (that's the only one I can remember), and I had a great time. Where are you staying on the island?

Mike

I'm staying at the Westin which is located in Great Cruz bay. The wedding is in Trunk Bay. I don't know much more than that.

Mike Loyco:
My very first dives were from the Caneel Bay local dive op. We did Mongo Cay (that's the only one I can remember), and I had a great time. Where are you staying on the island?

Mike

Tanked Monkey:
I didn't try them, but it seems like Cruz Bay Watersports is the BIG dive op on the island. http://www.divestjohn.com/

I believe this is also the dive op that the Westin uses.

Mike

Thanks for the suggestions...

I got certified on October 23rd and couldn't wait to put it to use. Went down to St. John in the USVIs and completed 5 dives. Did all 5 dives through Cruz Bay Watersports and they were awesome. My DMs were Rich and Trevor - both guys were great and did an outstanding job of taking us to a variety of sites and leading some really good dives.

That's great. Glad you had fun diving (and I'm sure the wedding was fun too). BTW - did you get a chance to sample the conch at Duffy's Love Shack?

Mike

Congratulations, cburns, on putting your dive certification to good use with CBW on beautiful St. John! We chartered a boat with them in June, '04, and and 2 out of our group of 11 were certified with them. I trust you also had the opportunity to snorkel some of the great beaches on St. J.

TM, Duffy's rocks!

http://community.webshots.com/user/suelarhast

It has been about 4 years since I was at the Westin, but they used to have their own dive shop. Not sure of the op name or not but the Westin should be able to get you in contact with them

My wife and I stayed at the Westin in St. John in 2003. Very nice place, by the way. We used the on-site dive operator. They were fine. Nice boat. We are perpetual beginners since we only go on 1-2 dive trips per year. They took care of us just fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom