St. Eustatius

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Conlui

Reaction score
Heading for Statia coming sunday. Anybody there telling me about the do's and dont's of the very island? Don't tell me go to Saba ...

Thanks for all recommendations

Sint Eustatius Tourist Office

A limited number of dive operators:

Dive Statia
SubAqua
Golden Rock Dive

The first foreign nation to recognize the United States after we declared independence and the English exacted a heavy price from them for their audacity. Say, "Thanks!" for all of us while you're there.

The diving is better in Saba. :54:

I spent a week in Statia in 2000 and enjoyed myself. Its quiet and quaint, smaller than Saba. Its black volcanic sand, with a dormant volcano on one end of the island. Most of the island is walkable but low geared bicycles would be ideal despite its hilly terrain, hills makes for superb views in most lodgings. A Med School was just finished when I left, and the influx of students could have changed the amenities a lot. However, this means Statia has its own hyperbaric chamber.

We dove with Dive Statia. What I didn't like about the dive operations, not just Dive Statia, is they were by the book PADI table dives, thus annoyingly short. Nice reefs, not much life when I was there, am told things are changing. STENAPA reef has a few artificial reefs. Nothing spectacular to write about that you couldn't see elsewhere in the Caribbean, but would do it again because of remoteness, peace and tranquility. BUT ONLY IF:

I could dive my computer not PADI tables

If they rent bicycles

find a shore dive spot to a good reef, there weren't any when I was there

Kings Well was the only hotel in the island, others are B&B or rooms for rent.

Statia had beautiful dark nights, a good telescope would have been helpful. The sky was cut by the milky way, and in the darkness, there were shooting stars every night if you stared into the sky long enough.

I sure hope it hasn't developed too much since then.

I did Statia for a day aboard the Caribbean Expolorer II this past February and I quite liked it. I thought the reefs were spectacularly healthy easily on par with reef systems I've seen in bigger marquee destinations.

The earlier post is correct - you will not see loads of schooling fish, and perhaps this is why the reefs were so healthy. However, the dive sites are far from deserted, and some of my best video work from that week came from the Statia dives.

Currents were wickedly strong at times, and the visibility was never more than 50-75 feet or so. Coming from New England, neither of these things really bothered me, although the whipping currents did make photography and videography a bit difficult in places.

It's diving that is totally worth doing; the Windward Islands of the Caribbean seem to be among the best kept secrets of the region.

Thanks folks for your input - liked the go to Sana one !

Back
Top Bottom