St. Croix Treasures?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mermaid8773

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone found anything ancient in St. Croix, USVI?

I've found:

2 yellow bricks (used for ballast by the Danes who would load up sugar cane and dump the bricks.....several of the buildings here are built of this...)
1 OLD bottle....

Just wondering if anything interesting has been found by SB folks in the Virgin Islands?

Found a pair of Fruit of the Loom size 48 tighty-whities diving the Frederiksted Pier. Wouldn't exactly call it treasure ....

Back in the 80's and 90's I found quite a few old soda bottle and other things in St. Thomas Harbor. We would go out after a heavy cruise ship day and look in the churned up sand piles on the bottom. It was almost a gaurantee that we would get something cool. I found several old clay bottles after hurricane Hugo in that harbor too. There's a lot of old debris on the bottom in those islands!

I found a guy on a bicycle :D Next to the Frederiksted pier.

bicycle.jpg

Last year some friends of ours found some really nice old seltzer bottles way off the pier. They took their scooters out and rode for about 10 minutes west and searched around and found them.

When I was a kid living in Sprat Hall in 1981/82 I found an old pistol, grapeshot, a deeply encrusted hatch cover and lots and lots and lots of pot shards snorkelling off the country club in Frederikstead.

The pistol now has a place of honor in my rock garden here in Austin.

Does that beach still have all the pot shards?

Slightly off topic.

I remember hearing about a pier that was a good dive site in the V.I. I'm going to be going over there in the next few weeks and I wonder if anyone can enlighten me

Back
Top Bottom