St. Croix - Place(s) to stay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

queennyac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Heading to St. Croix (Frederiksted) in January.....anyone have any suggestions on where to stay close by the Pier there??? Has to be CLEAN, first and foremost....thank you
Rosemary

You might check some of the links in my old research notes -
St. Croix Research Report Aug. 2017 - Trip Report - St. Croix Research Report Aug. 2017

It's been awhile. Are you renting a vehicle? If so, 'close by' needn't be quite so close.

I hope you'll post a trip report when you get back. When I was there, I stayed in Christiansted. I'd like to see more trip reports get into what it's like to stay in Frederiksted.

Thanks for the info....won't rent a car for the one day...that's why I would like something near the Pier...heading to the Juliet

Victoria House is located just across the street from the pier and is the closest hotel to it. Another popular option a little further down the street from the pier (5 minute walk) is The Fred.

Book soon as January is in our peak travel season and tourism has been busier than ever here right now even though its "off season."

Thanks for the info....won't rent a car for the one day...that's why I would like something near the Pier...heading to the Juliet

Why not fly in the day of? The boat sits at the pier all day. Kat suggested we do that when I booked our week there.

Why not fly in the day of? The boat sits at the pier all day. Kat suggested we do that when I booked our week there.

Usually the biggest reason is to avoid missing the boat due to missed or canceled flights or if luggage get delayed. Sometimes flights routing via San Juan on the smaller airlines (e.g. Cape Air and Silver Airways which is how JetBlue connects to St. Croix via San Juan, PR) are sometimes canceled and several Spirit air flights via Fort Lauderdale have been canceled this month. Not common, but does happen and is a risk.

The reason I usually fly into live aboard trips myself is to give myself a little R&R after a long day of travel before my trip starts. Gives me time to sleep in, enjoy my morning, do some quick sightseeing, etc.

Thanks All.....I usually do fly to the destination the day of, unless it's halfway round the world....Galapagos, Maldives, Indonesia, Yap, Palau.....otherwise, it's always been day of boarding.....but with all that's going on these days, I think getting there a day early is the right choice....some of the places I have contacted have a minimum of at least 2 nights...but I'm sure I'll find something.....just want to make sure it's CLEAN....that's the most important item on my list....

Greetings from St. Croix Queennyac,

Of course, we'd love you to spend more time on island visiting, but here's a thought. I assume Juliet begins boarding sometime in the afternoon? It's possible to fly in and take a taxi to Christiansted, where you should be able to find hotels with 1-night rates. Have a nice breakfast on the boardwalk, walk around our historic downtown area and check out the fort. Afterward, get a taxi van to take you on a short tour and visit Cane Bay beach, Captain Morgans, Zip Line or one of our plantation museums. The driver can to you to the rain forest and the Montpelier Domino Club to see the beer drinking pigs and enjoy some locally made mama wanna and their island famous Roti's (only available on Fridays). Then have the taxi drop you off at the pier to meet the Juliet. Just a thought.

Let us know if we can help. Have a great cruise!

Hi, my husband and I are doing the same thing. Will be on the Juliet Feb 25th. We are staying at The Fred for the one night prior. We tried Victoria House but they have a two night minimum stay.

Another reason we decided to fly in the day before is to take advantage of getting in a couple of dives the same day we board, which is nice. If we fly in the same day, we probably wouldn't get to the Juliet early enough to do that.

Bottom line for us: We've decided that we've taken enough risks/chances flying in the same day of a liveaboard (land based trips are different!) We've been very fortunate our flights were on time and we got to our liveaboards in Belize and Bahamas with no issues, but these trips are not cheap and to me it's worth the extra $200 or so to spend the night, relax and not stress about a flight being delayed and missing the boat.

The only time these days I'd consider flying in the same day for a liveaboard is for a nonstop flight in the morning. That's what we're doing for the Juliet out of Miami in October. We fly nonstop and get to Miami by 9:39a. And even with that, I'd prefer to fly the night before but my husband thinks this is fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom