St Croix - Bonaire - Cayman - which one???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fookisan

Reaction score
Am planning next dive trip. Thinking about St. Croix - Bonaire - Cayman - Which one do you think for the best overall dive experience?

Thanks,

Dan

Bonaire was incredible diving anytime you want to go just drive up get a tank and go. no dive boats all shore diving. Most of the sites we went to my wife and i were the only people at the site, if there were a bunch of people diving a site we just went to the next one. you can get a book on the island that lists every dive site and the entry and life around the area. Dining was incredible in town . I would go back in a heartbeat. i have some pics uploaded to my yahoo link. There wasn't as much of the larger life ie. sharks and rays but there was tons of small life. Not much of a night life there either if your looking for bars to dance at. there was one downtown but my wife and i aren't much into that scene. There was small bars on the beaches at the resorts that we did frequent on the beach in the evenings for a night cap. Hope this helps any questions send me an private message.

Been to all 3, I would pick Bonaire or Cayman over St Croix. I personally would pick someplace in Cayman, but it kinda depends on what you like, budget, etc.

fookisan:
Am planning next dive trip. Thinking about St. Croix - Bonaire - Cayman - Which one do you think for the best overall dive experience?

Thanks,

Dan

I haven't been to St. Croix so I can't help there.

As far as Cayman and Bonaire they are 100% different underwater and top side.
You need to see them both. Pick one island and then do the other one.

Cayman is part of the Western Caribbean reef system. Bonaire is part of the Southern. Underwater they are nothing a like. I think the previous post explained the difference here.

Topside, they both have great restaurants, with Cayman having a bit more night life.

Damselfish:
Been to all 3, I would pick Bonaire or Cayman over St Croix. I personally would pick someplace in Cayman, but it kinda depends on what you like, budget, etc.

Yes, am on a budget. Is Cayman less expensive than Bonaire?

Thanks,

Dan

Chances are the flight to Cayman will be cheaper than to Bonaire. But other than that Cayman is known as an expensive destination.

On Bonaire shore diving is popular and cheap, and even boat dives are cheaper than most places. On Bonaire you can get mostly the same diving shore or boat. There is a range of places to stay including some nice smaller inns that are a pretty good deal. Getting a place where you can eat in would keep costs down too.

Cayman it is possible to find less expensive places to stay and other ways to economize (like find the cheaper restauarants and eat in) but it's harder to do a cheap trip to Cayman. I suppose you could do all shore diving and it would be nice but you'd miss the best stuff that Cayman is famous for. But you never know, sometimes you can get some pretty good package deals, especially in the summer (and hope for no hurricane!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom