St Croix Anniversary Trip Oct 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am curious about the pier, have heard a great deal and looking to visit soon.

What about folks fishing line/hooks, doesn't that pose a problem?

I ask as the website stated there are many folks fishing the pier.

I have seen hooked monofilament lines stretching down through the water from people actively fishing the pier when we were diving below, as well as occasionally seeing broken pieces of line caught on things here-n-there. I have also found complete fishing rigs/poles and other gear on the seabed around the Frederiksted Pier area.

From my experience this has usually been more of an issue when we were out from underneath the pier closer to the shore-end of the structure, but have also seen people fishing out along the deeper sections as well. Definitely advisable to take note of the people/activities on the pier before you get in the water; and keep an eye on your buddy and remain watchful for these types of hazards, but the frequency for me has been pretty low. Personally, I would not let this prevent you from diving Frederiksted Pier, as it is one of the most memorable dives I have ever experienced in the last 17 years. I might also recommend diving it during the day first, to get better acclimated before doing it as a night dive.

My personal favorite day-entry is to walk out to the end and giant-stride, then surface-swim out to the furthest point of the structure. This will put you at the deepest point, maybe 50-60ft, and should allow you to explore the full length of the pier in comfort. You should also have time to checkout the other cool collapsed ruins adjacent to the current structure as well. My longest bottom-time at the pier is about 125 minutes.

Hope this is helpful.

I am curious about the pier, have heard a great deal and looking to visit soon.

What about folks fishing line/hooks, doesn't that pose a problem?

I ask as the website stated there are many folks fishing the pier.
I just got here today, and the woman I'm renting from said that since the cruise ships stopped coming (cover) and fewer tourists = less crap in the ocean, the reefs have just come alive and are chock full of critters. I'll let you know in a few days!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom