SSI's Certification numbers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wsr523

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Why are SSI's certification numbers soooooo long??? When filling out pre-dive paper work its pretty hard to get that number into the space provided.

My original NAUI certification (1966) did not have a number for me on it - it only contained the four digit instructor number.

Later, when I got a NAUI EANX certification they gave me a Cert # that contained the first four letters of my last name, my birth date in ddmmyy, the first three letters of my first name and then ending in 'ed' - a full fifteen digits. Sample: last120248chaed.

Since I usually use my original card when I register for diving, I don't have any trouble filling the line for the certification number. I often am asked to see the card since most shops have never seen a card without a certification number.

If your complaint is that the SSI number will barely fit or not even fit on an SSI form, I suspect that maybe SSI hasn't updated their forms yet or that perhaps the shop is using some old forms.

Last edited:
My original NAUI certification (1966) did not have a number for me on it - it only contained the four digit instructor number.

Later, when I got a NAUI EANX certification they gave me a Cert # that contained the first four letters of my last name, my birth date in ddmmyy, the first three letters of my first name and then ending in 'ed' - a full fifteen digits. Sample: last120248chaed.

Since I usually use my original card when I register for diving, I don't have any trouble filling the line for the certification number. I often am asked to see the card since most shops have never seen a card without a certification number.

And social security #'s with multi millions are 9 digits.

Some of those "useless" extra characters may be there on purpose, same way that ssn's and drivers licenses and even postal addresses have coding you can use to verify they are real. Given that a totally bogus lds was giving out numbers in Miami last year, it isn't all craxy to have the diver's name and birthdate coded into the cert# so the shop can easily spot a bogus one.

Some of those "useless" extra characters may be there on purpose, same way that ssn's and drivers licenses and even postal addresses have coding you can use to verify they are real. Given that a totally bogus lds was giving out numbers in Miami last year, it isn't all craxy to have the diver's name and birthdate coded into the cert# so the shop can easily spot a bogus one.

If it's coded in a way that is easily spotted, the fakers will include the proper coding as well.

I was AOW certified back in 1977 by PADI and got a new card in 2016 and my diver number begains with 16. Guess back in 77 there wasn't diver/student numbers? I lost my old card so I can't check it.

NASDS 11-79 #12125 Herb's Dive Shop Daytona Beach Fl

Lost this card, had it replaced with an SSI no#'s and then found it. So now I have both :)

I guess what I am looking for is that does everyone who is certified by SSI fill in the over 20 digit certification number into the waivers that every diver has to fill out with every Dive Op that they dive with or is it maybe just a certain set of digits within that long set of digits that they use?

SSI cards (except Advanced Open Water and Master Diver) have a six digit number in the online diver verification section. According to the SSI website that six digit number is my diver ID. I assume the 20 digit plus ID number identifies the course I took and not me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom