SSI science of diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rick00001967

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
90% !!! YA BABY !!!

just got back from writing my SSI science of diving exam tonight. studied my ass off and got a 90%. i am pretty damn proud of myself and i don't mind sayin it. especially since i don't think i have ever gotten a mark that high on any science test.....ever.
a 90 in gym perhaps, but never in a science.

if anyone is thinking of doing it, it is a great knowledge builder even if you are not planning on going pro. for me it was my final specialty to get my master diver. and, if i get through the dive guide course, i will be credited as a dive master.

master diver and dive master. lol.......sweet.......bring it on !!

Congats. I really thought this course was only for DM's and instructors though. Seems like a lot of hard book-work just for MD.

Way to go!!!!!!

Congats. I really thought this course was only for DM's and instructors though. Seems like a lot of hard book-work just for MD.

I'm one that believes that this should be part of every MD cert. The only difference between DM and MD should be that the DM learns how to assist instructors in classes. I did not take a science of diving test for my MD, it was not offered, but I could have because I studied for it.

Congrats rick!

Bob
---------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Nice going! That was a bear of a course. The new format had tons of formula, calculations and planning. I too really appreciated it. Having just completed DG and now DM - it really was all down hill for me after Science of Diving. Now, you will actually get to apply all that heavy studying! Congrats!

thats for all the support !!

my high school physics teacher would be amazed. seeing as i got a 48% in his grade ten class. he actually "gifted" me the extra 2% to pass. he told me to my face that he did it to make sure he did not have me in his class again the next year. lol true story......

thx again. really looking forward to the dive guide course. all this extra training has really sparked my interest to learn even more.

Congratulations ! ! !

It is a great course. I just completed mine this past weekend in a one day class. A VERY LONG day ! I also got a 90 on the transfer of knowledge. Highly recommend this course for everybody. We had a couple students that were not strong in physics, but this course really helped them understand more details involved in diving.

How much questions is the SOD exam ? I have to take mine next tuesday.

i don't honestly remember the number of questions. but it was not a short 25 question test. it took me at least a couple of hours to write it. good luck !!

It was divided basically into 5 sections of 20 questions, the first section dealing with Physics. The first part was impossible, said by this engineer. One of my fellow DG candidates was a full professor of physics at a local university and found the questions totally inappropriate, misleading and riddled with mistakes. The questions after the first 20-22 were hard but reasonable. This was February.

In March, the SSI rep came by and after getting an earful, mentioned that the test was getting an immediate rewriting. Evidently the SoD class was recently reorganized along with DG and DC. Guess the test was not vetted very well ;-)

None the less, it was an excellent course, and I was blessed by an excellent instructor that went well beyond the book.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom