SSI science of diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

see my post #15

---------- Post added September 23rd, 2015 at 07:37 PM ----------

it is a great class to take especially if you have a good instructor. we usually sell the books as well up here. most of our students do not like the online classes and prefer the book. it also is nice to have as a reference guide down the road.
i would not be too quick to rule out DG or DM. i started on the pro road with aspirations of only reaching DCS but ended up becoming an instructor (for better or for worse).
remember, once you achieve master diver, all you need is DG plus the SofD and you are automatically a DM.
good luck in the course !!
I keep seeing reference to this being an online class is this true? Can I study and take the exam from my pc.?? If so I may actually be able to find time to do this.. my closest ssi shop is 50+miles away and I do not have the time to get out there for class sessions and then again for a test. If I can do this all online I'd totally go for it.

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

the SofD is avail online. the online course presents you with all the basic info contained in the course. you then do a multiple choice review at the end of each chapter. once completed you need to visit your dive center and write the exam. any mistakes in the exam must be discussed with an instructor to make sure you understand where you went wrong and why.

i would suggest to anyone that it is always beneficial to attend an actual live classroom session to work with an instructor to make sure you fully understand and can implement all the information taught online or by using the book. but i do not believe the classroom portion is "required".

Signed up for it today. Have no interest in "going pro " but I do thirst for diving knowledge. I hope I can survive the test as I have not sat through a math class in a decade and have never taken physics. I hear all the time that this is a great knowledge builder and I also hear of people having a hard time passing the written portion. Wish me luck scuba boarders !!! Oh fwiw I was given a copy of the text although my instructor says that ssi is no longer doing written texts. All online from now on..

my advice......keep working with the different formulas til you know them inside and out. and make sure you understand how to rearrange those formulas to find which ever part needs to be solved. if you google search for algebra there are some helpful sites to learn the basics.

as far as online final exams......first i have heard of this

study hard. good luck !!

Thanks for the advice. I intend on putting my best foot forward on this. I actually do a fair amount of math in my current job it's just been awhile sense I've had to memorize new formulas. I do mostly electrical conversions.

see my post #15

---------- Post added September 23rd, 2015 at 07:37 PM ----------

it is a great class to take especially if you have a good instructor. we usually sell the books as well up here. most of our students do not like the online classes and prefer the book. it also is nice to have as a reference guide down the road.
i would not be too quick to rule out DG or DM. i started on the pro road with aspirations of only reaching DCS but ended up becoming an instructor (for better or for worse).
remember, once you achieve master diver, all you need is DG plus the SofD and you are automatically a DM.
good luck in the course !!

Hi rick,

Thanks for your response.

As for DM or DG, no way. I don't dive to be responsible for others, I dive strictly for pleasure. I don't want the liability of taking care of a newb or a dependent diver. Diving is strictly an avocation that I do for myself. I am not being selfish as this is my hobby, and nothing more.

It is best for all that I take care of myself (and buddy, if not solo diving) underwater and let other people who are trained for, and enjoy the responsibility of, taking care of others underwater.

markm

Anyone have any examples of a physics question from the test ? I'm reading the book and from what I see from ssi 's "practical example " they seem very impractical ! Why do I care how small a balloon will be if at the surface it is filled to 10ci. And I take it down to 39fsw.. don't get me wrong I get the fact they want you to be able to arrange the formula to suit the question but seriously !

Anyone have any examples of a physics question from the test ? I'm reading the book and from what I see from ssi's "practical example " they seem very impractical! Why do I care how small a balloon will be if at the surface it is filled to 10ci. And I take it down to 39fsw. don't get me wrong I get the fact they want you to be able to arrange the formula to suit the question but seriously!

If you continue on to the test for this course (at least as it was a year or so ago) you will see more complex questions, based on the physics of buoyancy and compression, which have little to do with leading dives, keeping divers safe, or preparing to teach diving. I can answer the questions without trouble, but I no longer teach this course.

So far I have read the book and completed the reviews at the end of each chapter then went online and did all of the review questions and nailed each set of the online portion. Seeing that all of the questions seemed rather easy I went back through the online reviews and they were different each time so I went through them again until they repeated. None of them seemed as hard as I have heard the test to be. Are the test questions all that different from the text review questions? Also I spoke with my instructor and he told me I can use a calculator for the physics part.
The only part I seemed to have a harder time with was the scientific names for the underwater plants and animals most of which was centered around the ocean. I am thinking that part is more difficult to me due to the fact I have never seen the ocean nor spent much time studying marine biological or oceanography...
My instructor told me when I signed up we would have to do an in shop class that would take a few hrs. Then I can schedule my test.

So far I have read the book and completed the reviews at the end of each chapter then went online and did all of the review questions and nailed each set of the online portion. Seeing that all of the questions seemed rather easy I went back through the online reviews and they were different each time so I went through them again until they repeated. None of them seemed as hard as I have heard the test to be. Are the test questions all that different from the text review questions? Also I spoke with my instructor and he told me I can use a calculator for the physics part.
The only part I seemed to have a harder time with was the scientific names for the underwater plants and animals most of which was centered around the ocean. I am thinking that part is more difficult to me due to the fact I have never seen the ocean nor spent much time studying marine biological or oceanography...
My instructor told me when I signed up we would have to do an in shop class that would take a few hrs. Then I can schedule my test.

Hi Jbomb001,

I have read the book and completed the review questions contained within the book. I will attend class in December.

My opinion of the study material is comparable to yours. I have studied or read about the covered theories, formulas, and general information before. Many of the issues covered in the book have been broached on ScubaBoard.

Memorizing critter names and categories will be challenging.

Keep me posted please. I have a feeling you will complete the course before I do.

markm

---------- Post added October 11th, 2015 at 08:23 AM ----------

If you continue on to the test for this course (at least as it was a year or so ago) you will see more complex questions, based on the physics of buoyancy and compression, which have little to do with leading dives, keeping divers safe, or preparing to teach diving. I can answer the questions without trouble, but I no longer teach this course.

Hi eponym,

Can you expand on your statement above?

Mainly:

1. Why have you stopped offering the course?
  2. While a DM does not need to know the theory by wrote, is a DM more "rounded" if they have a basic understanding of these theories?
  3. With a fifty dive minimum to become a DM, is book knowledge better than no experience and no knowledge?

Please understand, I am not being confrontational with my questions. I know that the dive industry has many "hoops" that divers must pass through before they get certs or credit for their experience (and for good reason, like liability issues--you know, the ability to prove due diligence and a workman like standard).

I am piqued by your post, so please expand!

markm

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom