SSI or PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chad S

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
PADI or SSI. Does it matter which one I decide to go with? If you have an opinion, can you give me concretes facts as to why one is a better choice than another?

Thank you.

PADI's training materials are better. But most of what you will learn will be in the water, not in the classroom.
Some questions to consider asking your (potential) instructor:
  • How long have you been teaching?
  • Where did you get your instructor training?
  • How long were you a Divemaster before you became an instructor?
  • Where else have you worked?
  • Do you have a "day job?" Doing what?
  • What classes do you teach? Which do you enjoy the most?
  • What kind of diving do you like to do, and where?
  • Why do you like diving? Why do you like instructing?
  • What is your opinion of the other instructors in your shop?
  • Do you teach the pool classes on the bottom, or neutrally buoyant?

I would like to be the first of no doubt many that will state it’s the instructor, and not the agency you should be shopping for. I recommend speaking to veteran divers in your area on their thoughts on local instructors.
IMO, Like Chilly said its more the instructor than the agency. I feel the opposite of tursiops no offense I like ssi e learning, your fingertip information and updates. My PADI books are the same they was in 1993 and I maybe able to find them but my SSI stuff is in my hand and was updated today. But the questions tursiops stated are very important.

My PADI books are the same they was in 1993 and I maybe able to find them but my SSI stuff is in my hand and was updated today.
That is simply not true. PADI materials have changed significantly over the past quarter century. Computers are part of most training now. About 5 years ago they had a major standard revision. They, too, have eLearning.

Last edited:
Well I know my books have simply not changed that was the point not saying padi hasn't changed the material I have from them has not now I'm sure your next statement is yes I can buy another book every little bit but why do that when my SSI changes every time they do and I don't have to buy anything. How about reading what people post rather than snapping you remarks.

Not that this will answer your question, but as I understand it PADI, SSI and NAUI are the most recognized in the world. Yes there are a whole host of others, but from a NA perspective these are the only ones to look at.

PADI is a for profit organization started in the late 60's with a solid training base.
SSI started in 1970 with a solid training base and is now owned by Mares
NAUI is another fantastic learning possibility, and they are a Not for Profit organization.

I looked into all 3, but what it came down to was my local dive shop and how the people there made me feel. They are a PADI shop, so that's who I decided to go with.

All 3 brands will be recognized most of the world over, but be cautious as each brand may not recognize the other in so far as training quality goes. So if you want to advance your diving skills and are thinking of jumping from one brand to the other, be sure to ask about your qualifications first.

I don't know if that helped or not, but that's the best that I can offer given my limited experience/knowledge.

John

I echo @Geobound above Pick the shop and instructor that suits you best. Don't overlook a schedule that fits you. You don't want to be battling traffic from work only to arrive 10 minutes late for each class.

There don't appear to be any SSI shops in my province - well SSI says there are two but one of there websites is no longer up and the other when I follow the link from the SSI site to the shop - the shop advertises PADI courses. So for me the choice of agency was easy. I spent much more time deciding between which local PADI shop to go with.

Hint to all the dive shops out there - keep your web site up to date with your latest offerings. I immediately disqualified shops that only had courses that started in the past listed (and they weren't the recent past either) I figured if they couldn't be bothered to keep their web site current they might not send in my cert in a timely fashion either.

I'm SSI and travel to many of the popular dive locations in the Caribbean, Mexico, Central America and Hawaii. I've never had a problem with my cert. being accepted. I do dive dive with a lot of PADI divers though...lol - of our group, all my friends are..

As others have said - it's the instructor.

Thanks Guys. I was leaning PADI because it looked to be larger, but I was totally turned off by the instructor, the dive shop I liked was SSI, so I think I will go back to my original choice, the dive shop and instructor I was comfortable with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom