SSI Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Noam Levy

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello everyone,
Why is it that SSI Nitrox certification is "only" up to 40% as opposed to PADI's up to 50% enriched air as advanced certification.

The questiob may be sound a bit stupid but I can't really understand why SSI are not offering the more flexible certification.
Further more - would you recommend a PADI or SSI nitrox certification?

40% is the usual Nitrox limit, it is the industry-agreed upon cut-off for having oxygen clean first and second stages. I was always under the impression that PADI also limited EAN divers to 40%

Enriched-Air-Diver-Certification-Card.jpg

PADI is also 40%. This I know 100% as I checked my PADI EAN card :) In my opinion there is no difference what agency course you will take: SSI, SDI, Padi, CMAS..... Nitrox principles are still the same.

as far as i know both ssi and padi have a 40% limit on their recreation certifications.

you will find higher O2 limits offered by various agencies in a variety of courses. these courses are meant for divers planning on exceeding no decompression limits. the higher O2 % can be used to accelerate the decompression process.

the first course offered by ssi that offers this is the XR Nitrox level. this will allow you to use up to 50% and perform limited decompression.

Extended Range Nitrox Diving

Back
Top Bottom