SSI "Master Diver"......or not.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txgoose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am generally not one for titles. I don't normally care for adjectives that are in ways given out somewhat arbitrarily. Master Diver being one. Seems like some big words that would need some big backing up. The sculling that I still do with my feet keep me a long ways from what I would consider having this stuff even close to "mastered."

So to rub salt in my aversion to titles, during my 50th dive (the last SSI req for my journey to the title of "Master Diver"), yesterday, I lost my bucket hat that I use on the surface for sun protection. It came un-stowed from a slot behind my weights. Master Diver, uh-huh. Then on my 52nd dive, specifically taken to run S patterns to look for said hat, I lost (forgot) the gloves from the top of my head that I was using for solar protection on the surface!!! Master Diver.

Got the gloves, did not get the hat. Maybe it was Davy Jones or the ghosts of SCUBA pioneers keeping me humble. Anyway, some chuckle fodder for anyone that might need it this AM.

Yours truly,
tx "decent diver with a long way to go, but enjoying the scenery" goose

I have the same aversion to vanity titles,particularly ones like this with no basis in reality.Master in most fields of endeavor implies many years of practice to attain a high degree of proficiency.

I think it's always a good idea to take a rescue course, a CPR course and to learn some basic seamanship.I only took courses I would require to purchase that particular gas or be able to dive that particular dive safely.I'd much rather learn a skill like photography and spearfishing etc.. in practice with those actually doing it outside a class setting.

Save the money used for titles to spend on actual diving.There is nothing lamer than to see someone with every possible patch and sticker dive related forget to buckle a tank strap, flounder about bouncing off coral or turn on their air or such.

Consider the historical perspective.

Agencies created the Master Scuba Diver designation about a half century ago. There were no technical diving agencies or certifications. Cave diving had not developed its protocols or its instructional path. Only a few specialty classes existed. A person who qualified for the Master Scuba Diver title had pretty much exhausted all instructional opportunities.

Save the money used for titles to spend on actual diving.There is nothing lamer than to see someone with every possible patch and sticker dive related forget to buckle a tank strap, flounder about bouncing off coral or turn on their air or such.

Agreed, the diver stress and rescue course with cpr, combined with AOW, is what I was after for the family. The dive #50 was just the number I happened to hit because I'm loving the time underwater. And I hit it on a dive when I lost stuff. Was just funny/ironic to me so I shared. I've spent many hours in the shop pool working on trim in the shallow end trying desperately to not be a patch and sticker diver. My record is 92 minutes without surfacing, doing hovers and turns. You can start hallucinating without the threat of narcosis. :)

Consider the historical perspective.

Agencies created the Master Scuba Diver designation about a half century ago. There were no technical diving agencies or certifications. Cave diving had not developed its protocols or its instructional path. Only a few specialty classes existed. A person who qualified for the Master Scuba Diver title had pretty much exhausted all instructional opportunities.

Fair enough. "No more continuing education, you've mastered all we have."

This is also not to imply that no one can have it down at 50 dives. Just that _I_ don't have it down at 50 dives.

The issue with Master Diver is not the title, but the requirements to achieve the title. I have the same issue with Dive Master and instructor.

Got the gloves, did not get the hat. Maybe it was Davy Jones or the ghosts of SCUBA pioneers keeping me humble

From my experience, this is an ongoing reminder to pay attention to details whilst diving. Better a bit of gear than loosing track of your gas.

Bob

Setting goals can be a way to motivate ourselves. Be it exercising or diving. Saying you want to run 30 miles this week is like saying you want to do 50 dives. It is a goal that motivates you to do more of what you want to do anyway. As long as the MD is personal motivator I am fine with it. Going around bragging about it not so much.

I came to diving late in life and at 72.5 I am not sure how many more years of diving I have left. For family reasons i am currently limited to NC diving and I am 2.5 hours from the ocean. Some good diving but lot slower at racking up dives than if I were in the Keys or on a live aboard which I have never done. I have set a personal goal of 500 dives. Does it mean anything? No. And each dive is done for its own merits and the experience. But I find that setting the goal encourages me to work a few extra dives into my schedule which is what I want to do anyway. When I probably pass that goal within a month or so, I will make up another goal. Maybe 600. Maybe 666.

Its like wanting to read 10 books over the summer and enjoying each book. Its the process and not attaining the goal that is important.

Its the process and not attaining the goal that is important.

Absolutely. I am spot on with your post. I am all about goals for the journey. The journey is the thing. One son may be using the Master Diver title as part of a college application. I will not be getting MD luggage tags made up. :)

Setting goals can be a way to motivate ourselves. Be it exercising or diving. Saying you want to run 30 miles this week is like saying you want to do 50 dives. It is a goal that motivates you to do more of what you want to do anyway. As long as the MD is personal motivator I am fine with it. Going around bragging about it not so much.

My daughter, who took up diving after she left home, kept talking about being a DM so long that I bet her that I could be a Master Diver before she would certify DM. It ruined my dream of being a career OW diver, but she is a DM, but lost a bet. My buddy Bruce carries on the record of career OW, although he did pick up Nitrox with me along the way.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom