SSI Ethics Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kammel78

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Not sure if I'd put this in the Legal section or Industry News or here, so mods feel free to move it if this is the wrong forum...

What do you think about a dive shop owner and SSI Instructor Trainer Center who was arrested and booked for allegedly breaking in and stealing over $20K worth of gear from a competing dive shop still being allowed to be an active SSI Dive Center and Instructor?

I mean, I know everyone is presumed innocent until proven guilty, but don't you think they'd at least suspend them and put them under review?

I know an instructor here who got suspended within 24 hours for sending a rude email to SSI, so maybe it's all in who you know and who you piss off?

upload_2018-6-22_8-38-42.png

Absolutely innocent until proven guilty, because this is too odd. Dive shop owners can buy gear at discounts, and get gear much more easily from manufacturers. But I have heard of dive shop closing down while still holding onto other people gear that was stored in shop for repairs, and B&E was their only option to get their stuff back.

Let's just say this was allegedly more personal and spiteful than economical...

Not sure if I'd put this in the Legal section or Industry News or here, so mods feel free to move it if this is the wrong forum...

What do you think about a dive shop owner and SSI Instructor Trainer Center who was arrested and booked for allegedly breaking in and stealing over $20K worth of gear from a competing dive shop still being allowed to be an active SSI Dive Center and Instructor?

I mean, I know everyone is presumed innocent until proven guilty, but don't you think they'd at least suspend them and put them under review?

I know an instructor here who got suspended within 24 hours for sending a rude email to SSI, so maybe it's all in who you know and who you piss off?

View attachment 465134

THINK YOU ARE COMPARING APPLES WITH ORANGES. First the email was (per you) sent to SSI and they played investigator judge jury and executioner. The other case is a non SSI hear say case where one is asking to have SSI shut down someones business for an infraction that can not be fully verified by SSI. SSI's business is training, not social justice. Now when the guy you reference is convicted, then SSI can pull their franchise for reasons of ,,,,,that operator bringing discredit to the parent SSI organization. They would do so, saying this operator in his conduct of business while holding an SSI francihise does not reflect the standards of SSI. SSI does not endorse or support his actions. Due to the severity of the actions involved and legal resolutions to date SSI is severing its relationship with said operator and revoking his franchise indefinately.

There has to be a lot more to this story.

Secondly, how would SSI know unless someone sent it to them.

@kammel78 to another discussion going on on facebook right now and a point that many have brought up. Depends on how many students they certify and since it's SSI, how much Mares gear they sell.... If they certify and sell a lot? They can probably get away with a LOT more than most. Neto, Sotis, and Fox are proof of that

I'm just going by SSI's own published standards of ethics...

upload_2018-6-22_9-23-43.png

Let's use an extreme example to argue the waiting until convicted...If an SSI instructor was under investigation for assault and SSI did not suspend them, how would it look if that Instructor assaulted another person?

THINK YOU ARE COMPARING APPLES WITH ORANGES.

And you're right about the apples to oranges, my only point was to the swiftness of their reaction to something on a relatively much lower scale of fault.

@kammel78 to another discussion going on on facebook right now and a point that many have brought up. Depends on how many students they certify and since it's SSI, how much Mares gear they sell.... If they certify and sell a lot? They can probably get away with a LOT more than most. Neto, Sotis, and Fox are proof of that

Both shops are SSI shops, the alleged burglar sold Mares the shop that was broken into did not sell Mares.

Does that really make a difference?

Back
Top Bottom