SSI Dive Shops in San Pedro, Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ibsen13

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a new diver and have done my class and poolwork at an SSI shop in NYC. Can anyone recommend a good SSI shop to complete my certification / referral in San Pedro?

Dumb question: would a PADI shop accept my SSI referral?

Thanks.

I'm a new diver and have done my class and poolwork at an SSI shop in NYC. Can anyone recommend a good SSI shop to complete my certification / referral in San Pedro?

Dumb question: would a PADI shop accept my SSI referral?

PADI and SSI use a different referral system. PADI has its own system, and SSI uses the "universal" referral system. PADI shops can do the universal referral system, but it is a little complicated when they do. Sometimes shops screw it up because it doesn't happen often.

The big difference does not really matter to the student. It matters to the instructors, but it has a ripple effect. In the PADI system, the instructor who teaches the final OW dives and certifies that the diver is ready to dive is the certifying instructor (and thus agency). In the universal system, the instructor who sends the referral is the certifying instructor (and thus agency). In the PADI system, the referring PADI instructor gets a half credit for sending the referral and the one who does the final OW dives gets a full credit. In the universal system, the referring instructor gets full credit and the one who does the actual certifying dives gets nothing.

As I said, it should not matter to the student, but it can be a mess if people get confused. A lot of PADI shops do not understand how the referral system works, and they end up just giving you a PADI card, which is what would happen if it was a PADI referral. That is not how it is supposed to work, though. If you are a student, you have to make sure everyone is on the same page.

I've done the certifying dives for lots of SSI students, even though I'm not SSI certified. The first time I had a discussion with SSI to ensure I did the right things. You'll have no problem getting your certifying dives done here. You won't actually be certified until you get back home and your initial instructor certifies you, nor will you have a temporary card, but that won't matter if you only dive with the shop you do those dives with.

Where will you be staying? I can suggest and if you like set you up with a suitable shop, so your home instructor can correspond with them if he wants to.

Thanks for the feedback. I will be staying at the Tradewinds Paradise Villa. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

I apologize for taking this thread slightly off topic, but I have a question regarding SSI/PADI interaction that involves Belize as well.

So far, I've done all my certifications, OW, AOW and Nitrox, through PADI.

Tonight I'll be taking a CPR/First Aid class through my SSI affiliated LDS. The class is in two parts: an online class and exam via the American Heart Association's website, which I'm about to go do right now, followed by frantically slapping people's faces and pounding on their chests tonight at the dive shop.

The online class is entitled Workplace Training Heartsaver First Aid Online With CPR And AED. I'm supposed to bring my online certificate of completion with me, so I can get credit for the class after we abuse each other tonight.

This summer, I'll do the Rescue Diver course though PADI affiliated Splash Dive Center in Placencia. I'll bring whatever certificate of completion I get from this SSI class with me to show it to the instructor at Splash.

Am I correct in assuming that PADI will give me credit for the prerequisite Emergency First Response ("EFR") to use towards my Rescue Diver certification?

Last edited:
Am I correct in assuming that PADI will give me credit for the prerequisite Emergency First Response ("EFR") to use towards my Rescue Diver certification?
Downing, yes, PADI will give you credit.
Regards
Ralph

Agreed. I've just certified a Divemaster whose first aid qualification was through the American Heart Association.

Turns out the instructor was from DAN so whatever certificate of completion I get will be from DAN, not SSI.

I didn't even know DAN does instruction. Maybe I should read their magazine more carefully.

All in all, it was a fun course, although it covered a subject I hope never to have to put into practice.

Downing, DAN does a number of courses and they are very good. Patty teaches some of them here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom