SSI Agency Estimated Training Times

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VinnyDeSimone

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I’m looking for average time to complete the on-line training for a SSI specialty ?
I realized they are different from specialty to specialty.

Does your agency have and estimate for each SSI Specialty On-Line training timeframe ?

Thanks in advance.

the SSI standards will give an aprox time for each specialty i believe

Yes, but not really, they all list;
"SUGGESTED DURATION OF THE TRAINING PROGRAM 6 - 10 HOURS"

I assume this includes the 2-3 dives included with the Specialty.
I would like a better Idea of just the on-line training time if available from the agencies.

I do have another thread started, asking divers who have recently completed the on-line training to post their timeframe to complete.

thanks

not quite true. the nitrox course for example suggests a time frame of 3 to 6 hrs. perhaps if you listed the specialties you are interested in we could help more.
times for dives will vary drastically as it can depend largely on the logistics. ie: how far is the dive site from the dive shop for example.
we typically do 2 dives per day. it takes me aprox 5 to 6 hrs n avg. from the time we meet at the shop until we return.
ice dives would take much longer. the deep course requires 3 dives. so there are various factors that can affect the time required.

"I realized they are different from specialty to specialty."

These are the initial Specialties we are looking at;

1. Wreck Diving
WRECK DIVING/FACTS
SUGGESTED DURATION OF THE TRAINING PROGRAM 6 - 10 HOURS

2. Navigation
NAVIGATION/FACTS

3. Deep Diving
DEEP DIVING/FACTS

4. Night Diving and Limited Visibility
Suggested Duration: 6 - 10 hours

5. https://www.divessi.com/info/en-IC/...extended-range-advanced-wreck-diving-168.html
ADVANCED WRECK DIVING/ FACTS

a. https://www.divessi.com/info/en-IC/perfect-buoyancy-172.html
PERFECT BUOYANCY/FACTS

Thanks, V~

You should expect that you can complete the online portion of most SSI specialties in as short as about an hour. YMMV. Maybe budget 2hrs, unless you know you study and test more slowly than most. Something like Science of Diving would be different.

the links you provided are not the ssi standards. if you do want to see what the standards say you can google "ssi standards" and you will find a link to an ssi page that allows you to download different standards in various languages. see below.

DiveSSI - Scuba Schools International - Home of Scuba

wreck - 5 to 10 hrs
nav - 5 to 10 hrs
deep - 10 to 15 hrs
night - 5 to 10 hrs
xr wreck - 12 hrs
xr technical wreck - 20 hrs
buoyancy - 5 to 10 hrs

as you said, these guidelines would include dives. but i would repeat what i said earlier about that. it varies.
as far as the time for the online learning only goes, again, it will also vary. some students who already have a solid understanding of the material in the course will obviously get through it much faster than a student who has never been exposed to that information at all.
for example.....for nitrox (which has no required dives) a student who has been taught how to use tables and also understands partial pressure theory should get through the online learning pretty easily. but if the student has never used dive tables and has no understanding of what partial pressure even means, they will take longer.
i think perhaps a good rule of thumb might be 30 to 60 minutes for each chapter.

You should expect that you can complete the online portion of most SSI specialties in as short as about an hour. YMMV. Maybe budget 2hrs, unless you know you study and test more slowly than most. Something like Science of Diving would be different.
Well, then that puts me in the 3 hour program......

Back
Top Bottom