Sri Lanka or Singapore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I'm looking for advice on diving in either Sri Lanka or Singapore in September 2013.

I am getting married in Sri Lanka and could dive there, but I am flying home via Singapore and if the diving is better there (or nearby), I could stop there for a few days.

My fiance and I are both open water certified and have done about 10 dives each in the past year. We are looking for warm, clear water and lots of marine life.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Carrie

Where in Sri Lanka are you getting married? Diving in September is on the east coast, with dive shops/resorts available either in Trincomalee or Passikudah/Batticaloa areas. Lots of shallow dive sites with coral gardens and decent visibility. Singapore itself doesnt have any good diving but there is nice diving in Malaysia. Best option close to Singapore would be Perhantian. But diving in Sri Lanka would probably be easier and cheaper if you are already there.

You indicate that you are fairly new to diving, so I guess you'd want someplace where the diving is not only great, but also doesn't present huge challenges. I'd say Bali. It's a short hop from Singapore, the diving is excellent, and the culture is wonderful.

Thank you all for your replies.

Nishan, we're getting married near Galle, on the southwest coast (3 hours from Colombo). I will look into the east coast, and particularly the Trincomalee or Passikudah/Batticaloa areas as you suggest. Ta.

Quero, yes, Bali is lovely but I dived there last year (off Gili Trawangan). Good suggestion though.

Gekodivebali, you don't know where in SL your friend recommended diving do you?

Se we've pretty much ruled out Singapore, which is progress...
We have also been recommended to perhaps take a trip to the Maldives (only an hour or so's flight from Colombo) where the diving is meant to be excellent. Anyone dived there?

:)

Mulitiple times, and transiting through Colombo. Each resort sits on its own island. Prepare to spend! It's always expensive in Maldives--the resorts are expensive, the dives are expensive.... I prefer liveaboard diving in Maldives, but I think it can be a little tricky for divers without a lot of experience since there are currents, and liveaboards are more for hard-core divers.

Yeah resort diving in Maldives becomes expensive and the best liveaboard diving is not ideal for beginners plus most trips are 7-10 days of serious diving.

Getting to the east coast in Sri Lanka is either a 6-7hr drive from Colombo or a 45 min flight. Domestic flights are usually not expensive (about $65-75 return to Trincomalee or Batticaloa) but flights only available a few days a week. If you have time the road trip has its charm despite the hair raising driving of most Sri Lankans :)

Galle is about 1.5hrs from Colombo via the new road. Old coastal road takes about 3hrs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom