Sri Lanka - diving with whales in Mirissa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been told that for snorkeling and diving the best part of Sri Lanka is Mirissa and Polhena. In particular, off the coast of Mirissa there are blue whales. Some people say it's possible to do snorkeling or diving (mostly they say snorkeling) together with the whales. Some others say it's only whale watching from the boat, while swimming with the whales is actually not allowed. Has anyone tried to do this? Is it really snorkeling with the whales?
Thanks

Interesting. This also explains what I have been told about South Africa, that the best chance is to see them during the sardines run. Probably they stay more time on the surface to eat, otherwise they would just get some air and then dive again

Snorkeling and diving with whales is currently prohibited in Sri Lanka. Special expedition permits are sometimes issued for small, high end groups and film crews. There are many local operators running snorkeling trips but these are technically not licensed and are illegal.

While my personal opinion is that a well regulated whale snorkeling experience should be allowed the fact is it is currently not and as such I would not endorse an unlicensed activity. In Mirissa it is also complicated as there are many whale watching boats, and I would be hesitant to be in the water with those boats around. The whale watching is poorly regulated and while there are a few good operators, most are reckless, harass the whales, and have poor safety standards or whale watching protocols other than chasing after the whales aggressively.

If you are interested in general diving Mirissa has a few good spots but there are better places. Hikkaduwa and Bentota for some nice underwater rock formations, the east coast for coral reefs, and Colombo for wrecks.

Yep, As Nishan said it is illegal to swim or dive with whales in Sri Lanka unless you have special permission. There are some facilities in Mirissa which are offering those services even tho it is illegal but it is your head when the coast guard catches you.

Anyway I understand this ban, these animals are probably endangered and disturbed by the human presence. Let them live their lives on their own... I don't want to bother them. I am sure there is plenty to see in Sri Lanka anyway both in terms of diving and history or nature. I highly regret I had not enough time to see Sri Lanka in my trip to the Maldives. Will come back to see Sri Lanka only

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom