SR2 1st stage corrosion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dough18

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Long time Sherwood fan but have nothing but problems with my current gear. Have an SR2 setup. 1st stage was already replaced because the HPP were too shallow (kept blowing my transmitter 0-ring). I dive 8-10 dives per month in salt water. Reg is always rinsed well and serviced every year. I have had issues with the second stages free flowing previously because of corrosion issues in the 1st stage. Servicing always managed that.

This time, the damage may be beyond repair. Shop is still trying to rescue it but the metal may be pitted. They suggested the shop I dive with may not have great air (moisture in the air). I checked with the shop (no issues not surprisingly) but also checked with many other regulars who dive with them twice as much as I do with no issues - I don't think its that.

Anybody seeing similar things or have a suggestion? I am also on my third Amphos computer in 2 years. Their customer service is top notch but reliability...hmmm. In contrast, my 25+ yr old Blizzard reg keeps ticking on with no issues.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 71
  • 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    58.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 6.jpeg
    6.jpeg
    50.7 KB · Views: 67
It’s been full of water for some time, it looks like it was left in a rinse bucket without a dust cap, both sides are damaged.
+1 on what @lexvil mentioned.

Looks like water intrusion from improper rinsing; have seen plenty of that over the years. No scuba shop is going to openly admit faulty air-fills; but that strikes me of outright flooding, and not a result of moisture in a line. The best advice that I could offer, would be to always soak your regulators while pressurized; or, at least, provide a thorough hosing while still attached to a tank. My own gear spends hours in a water-filled tub.

That Sherwood may be salvageable, in the end; you'd be surprised what I have seen, in terms of chromed brass, brought back from the brink . . .

Maybe. I’ll keep a closer eye on whatever setup I have. The problem is only with my 1st stage, not my son’s or any of my friends. All are handled the same way. I did replace the dust cap 6 months ago. It was cracked. Maybe water was leaking in there without me knowing it and might be consistent with what you both suggest. Maybe the new cap (Mares version) is not sealing well.

I did replace the dust cap 6 months ago. It was cracked. Maybe water was leaking in there without me knowing it and might be consistent with what you both suggest. Maybe the new cap (Mares version) is not sealing well.

it is better that they are simply described as dust caps and absolutely nothing more; and few, if any, are even remotely watertight, regardless of the make. You’re far better off doing a quick dunk with a thumb firmly pressed over the end of the valve stem than depending upon any of them.

They are absolute crap, as is; and a cracked dust cap could very well do that damage seen in those photos . . .

I generally soak pressurized, but when I don't I make very sure the dust cap is made of good soft rubber or some material that I know seals adequately. Also, when done with a non-pressurized soak, I try to remember to hook the reg up to a tank and then purge a little. Any leakage of freshwater should blow through the reg, but the spg might not be protected if there is leakage.

I'm thinking "user error", as it completely resembles a flooded regulator. I'm leaning toward rinse tank issue that the second stage got bumped...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom