Spring straps: how snug is enough?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miked

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi to all,

The question is about spring straps. I'm going to use a pair of "Innovative Scuba" spring straps for my SCUBA Pro twinjets. These are the type that have buckles that fit onto the buckles on the fins. (I am aware of the "why introduce another failure point?" discussion, but that's not the purpose of this thread.)

I have done a Search, and could not find the specific information I need. If I understand correctly, the springs should be "snug, but not too tight", " just snug enough so the fins do not fall off".

Here is the situation:
The larger size strap fits as follows: the strap easily gets out of the way of the bottom of the fin's foot pocket, and putting on and removing the fin is not difficult.
BUT: When wearing the fin,( of course, with boots), the springs are not stretched at all. There is approximately 1/8 of an inch between the spring and the boot. The spring moves up and down a bit more than half an inch, but does not move past the boots heel.

The smaller size strap fits snugly against the back of the boot, but putting on and taking off the fins requires a bit more effort.(For example, the springs do not easily clear the bottom of the foot pocket.)

Another factor: all of this has been done "dry". I'm going to try to get access to a pool sometime over the weekend. Any suggestions on how things might change in the water?

I'm guessing that the smaller size will be the way to go, but I'm not sure, and I'd appreciate any input from people with experience with spring straps, especially, but not limited to this particular type strap.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

As long as it is still comfortable, i.e. not cutting off circulation or causing too much aggrevation, you want them as snug as you can.

My wife and I have those straps on our BioFins.
We love them.
I think you want (need) some, even if slight, tension.
The boots will compress at depth, so the space you have seen
at the surface will probably become larger at depth.

My wifes feet are so small that I had to get the xtra small ones
for her and cut them down even more.
It was a real pain to get the cut spring twisted to form the
new loop for clip. SS spring is really tough stuff to bend.
Got it done though.
Hers are so small that the springs are straight across the back
of the pocket - no arc until she puts her boot in.

One thing that you may have to do is cut down the actual
rubber heel on the spring. There are openings on it where
you can cut it. The rubber tends to grip the spring and not
allow it to stretch, so all the stretch tends to come from
the spring that is not inside the rubber heel. On the smaller
sizes, IMHO, there is too much heel and not enough
exposed spring, which makes it tougher to pull the heel on
and off your boot.
I ended up cutting down my wifes rubber heel one notch and
it made a big difference - much easier to stretch the spring.

--- bill

What I did was put my foot snuggly in the fin with boot on.

Take a tape measurer and put one end at the center of the nob on one side.
Bring the tape around the boot and over to the nob on the other side. Pull tape
snuggly and look at the center of the nob of the second side and get the
reading.

Subtract 2 to 2 1/2 inches off the total length and you will be good. Thats how long
your springs should be. If you cant find or make exact size....take a smaller spring over a bigger one with your measurement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom