Spring Strap Sizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KzooJason

Registered
Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of Manta spring straps for my Mares Avanti Quattros from ScubaToys. According to the sizing chart, I should have bought a medium (size 9-12); however, the boots I'm using are fairly large (Seasoft Ti Stealth). In fact, they're large enough that I had to go with the XL Quattros so that the boots would fit in them. The Manta sizing options include a note that XL can be used for "special" boots such as drysuit boots. Figuring that my boots were a bit larger than normal and after discussing it with one of the ScubaToys guys, I split the difference and bought the large straps knowing that I could exchange them if need be.

My problem now is that I don't know how to tell if they're the right size. On the surface they seem fairly secure. Unfortunately, the next time I'm going to be in the water with them is when I take a trip to Florida (first time diving in the ocean, very excited!!!). So, a question for any spring strap users out there... how tight are your straps? Any decent tests or rules of thumb I can use to figure out if the straps are the right size? I'd hate to loose a fin on my first warm water dives...

Thanks,
Jason

Mine have about the same tension as my rubber straps had. Im sure if you have to much you will easily be able to feel it.

terrasmak:
Mine have about the same tension as my rubber straps had. Im sure if you have to much you will easily be able to feel it.

Thanks terrasmak. Mine have a little less tension than my rubber straps but I may have had those adjusted a bit on the tight side. I just tried one fin with the spring strap and one with the rubber and they seem to be comparably secure. I think I'll go with the ones I have. I appreciate the advice.

Jason

Mine have just enough tension as to be snug and not fall off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom