Spring Fling Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aaron203

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I had to bail out at noon today, but a good time was had by all. I'm not the best dive report writer, but...

Arrived at CSSP ~ 2:30 on Friday, ScubaTexasTony was at the gate at the same time I was, so I followed him back to the campsite. ZzzKing was getting ready for a dive, so I geared up and we jumped in. Headed over to the boat, up to the plane back across to the east side, and then that was it. Total time was about an hour (I haven't pulled the logs off the computer yet). It was the best viz I'd seen in a couple years, 15 - 20 ft, low 80's at the surface, thermocline at 20 feet.

When we got out, Chrispete, RumBum, and K-Valve had shown up so once they got the camp site established, we jumped back in and toured the wall on the north east side of the lake. Same viz and temp as earlier. Lots of perch fanning their eggs, and lots of schooling bass. There were some big catfish floating around as well. I went in without a wetsuit this time, so I just stayed above 20, and it was very comfortable.

It was now dinner time, and I think this is about the time Foo showed up. They jumped in while the rest of us filled tanks and started to make dinner. After dinner, ScubaTexasTony, Debra, RumBum, ChrisPete, K-Valve and myself jumped in for a night dive. We surface swam over to the boat and dropped down. Lot's of fish came up to investigate what we were doing. Chrispete and Rumbum headed back, the rest of us explored the grass on the south side of the lake. We discovered it was a lot of fun to "spotlight" the small fish with our lights and the bigger bass would jump in there and eat them. At one point, we had 20 - 30 decent size bass following us around waiting for us to find them dinner. K-Valve even figured out how to turn a old scavenger hunt weight with a float on it into an underwater fishing pole. :crafty:

We got out and find the rest sitting around the fire chatting. We played "guess the occuptation" which turned out to be a lot more fun than I expected! We have a wide and diverse group of individuals here! I highly suggest playing this game any time the Foo clan is around! :D

Saturday, a whole bunch of people showed up. I won't get everybody, but Timeliner, ScubaTexan, the Kunkle's, TxHockeyGuy (I think he's the one that brought the fajita meat, which means he's permantly invited to any shin-dig I throw!). I got two dives in before I had to leave around noon.

I had a great time, enjoyed meeting and diving with everybody, and hope to do it again soon. Is a Fall Fling too much out of the question? :)

PS -- Since I dove with multiple swampers, am I official now?:14:

PS -- Since I dove with multiple swampers, am I official now?:14:

You certainly are! Welcome to the Swampers! :D

I'll get you added (and anyone else that needs to be added) as soon as I can.

I had a blast today, despite getting cramps in both of my calves at the same time on my second dive. :11:

It was fantastic seeing everyone and meeting people for the first time, like Aaron, k-valve, chrispete and RumBum, trout and Foo2 and her husband (the Gourmonds :wink: ). TxHockeyGuy's fajitas and brats were absolutely awesome (I do believe you have a future in the food industry, David....LOL). I counted 23 in attendance, which is fantastic! It's the best turnout we've had for a statewide Swampers Dive outing since Memorial Day weekend at Lake Travis in 2003, that I can recall. Many thanks to everyone who came out, and, yes, I think we can do this again before too terribly long.

Troyw and I showed up around 10:30 and after standing around talking for awhile we finally geared up and were in the water by 11:30am. We ran down the wall whre we ran into Foo underwater. Very cool. Visibility was great and the best I have seen in a few years. We made a left turn about half way down the wall swam by a couple of platforms, toured the boat ( Viz was amazing!!!!) and then back to the front of the stairs. Troyw is pretty good with the compass ( among other things...hee hee). It was very cool to see everyone and the spot that you all picked out was great. Nice and breezy. I got to visit or saw all the following with ScubaTexasTony, Scubatexan, ftwdiver, txhockeyguy, texdiveguy, the kunks, Foo, Foo2, Trout, truckdiver, firefyter, timeliner, kvalve, rumbum, zzzking, and chrispete.

Man I vote Txhockeyguy most valuable diver ( MVD) for this outing. He was the man and brought fajitas, brats, and all the fixins. I was able to get my hands on one of Yellowkunkfish's brownies and they were as good as people say they are.

TRoyw and I did a second dive and visited Cisco and when we came up on it we could almost make out the shark from end to end. Great visibility and no one else was on the shark while we were there. I did take some time to visit that wall on that end and man there were tons of those little asian clams we had all been discussing recently. Troy and I exited after that put up our gear said our goodbyes and came on home where I promptly crawled into bed and took a 2 hour nap. Upon leaving there was a large circle of Dimwit divers hanging out under the trees swapping stories and experiences. Everyone looked comfortable. Thanks a lot for coming out it makes it that much more special with everyone being there.

We had a great time today!! We really enjoyed meeting everyone, and got in some good dives too. Finally met Scubatexastony, and his wife, Debraw and Troy, Foo, Foo2, some people with the foos:D, ScubaTexan (it was great diving with you Ken!), Aaron203, Trout, Kvalve, Rumbum, and ChrisPete, and probably some other people I'm forgeting! Of course it's always good to see TexDiveGuy, Frank (in a cowboy hat!!!:rofl3:), TxHockeyGuy, Firefyter,ZzzKing, and Natalie. She is just too cute, I could not get over her tiny pink fins!! David made great fajitas as always!

On our first dive we found the alligator!! By accident, but we still found it! No, we really can't tell you exactly where it's at, except that it's a little northwest of Sisco. Also came across the mine. Temp was nice and balmy until you got to about 23 feet, and then it hit about 72, and got chilly. On our second dive, we took the heading recommended to us, and got to the coffin! Then we went over to the plane, and then took a relaxing tour back to the stairs on the east side. On our third dive we checked out Sisco, and took some pictures. We had two good hour long dives, and one 40 minute dive. All in all a good day. Vis was good, so I got to really work on my bouyancy, and removed my mask. (first time since OW) WooHoo!

I'll post a few pics below, again, we really enjoyed meeting, and visiting with everyone, and I also hope we can do a Fall Fling!

Rhonda:D

Dsc03476.jpg

The Cook! (TexHockeyGuy)
DSC03488.jpg

Frank, in a cowboy hat!
DSC03522.jpg

Lots of Swampers
Dsc03506.jpg

Perchana
Dsc03507.jpg

Me being attacked by Sisco

Great pictures, Rhonda! It was very nice diving with you as well. :)

Had a great time of visiting and diving, nice seeing everyone!!

DSC03488.jpg

Frank, in a cowboy hat!

He may be the next governor of this great state. He was doing so much glad handing I though he was running for office.

Natalie was very sad to go despite the terrorist sunfish that attacked her on the stair in such a cowardly fashion. She wanted to camp another night and I had difficulty convincing her that Mommy was expecting us home and we were already profoundly late. It was very amusing to listen to her give her "dive report" to Stef this morning.

Thanks to Tony and Brenda for setting up such a nice campsite and helping me ride herd on the little girl.

Thanks to David for all the meat. Natalie put away about half a pound all by herself. No tortillas or cheese or salsa or any of that stuff to slow her down. Just meat. :D

Thanks to Rhonda for the brownies.

Very enjoyable dives with:
Dive 1 - Tony and Brenda
Dive 2 - Aaron
Dive 3 - Alan
Extensive sessions with Natalie on the finer points of floating.
Special Best Friend Award to Melissa. (You'll be getting a call in about 6 years from Natalie wanting to go diving)

No fist fights.
One nipped pinkie finger.

All in all, a very good outing. It was good meeting everyone and we look forward to doing it again soon!

I had the most wonderfull of all times !

I knew it would fun but reality exceded any expectation I had.

' And Once Again........ the bones were spot on ! :wink:

My first Swamper get together was GREAT. I enjoyed it completely, even though I couldn't stay and camp like I had planned. Thanks to Foo2 for budding up with me, I had 3 great dives along with my longest dive 1:14.
I will agree also that YellowKunkfish's Brownies were just FANTASTIC. I wish I could name everyone by name but this group is geat to be around.

The very pleasant weather enjoyed a distant second place award compared to the pleasant atmosphere created by the Swampers! It was my pleasure to meet you all.

The diving was great and the surface intervals were fun. Lets do it again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom