Spring Diving in Florida, Blue Grotto vs Devil's Den?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1000RR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I did a number of searches and kind of got bits and pieces but wanted to specifically ask - Which spring would be the most interesting, fun dive for my daughter and I. We got certified last summer and have been diving every month since. Usually we're doing 60' drift dives off of West Palm Beach, stopping at Blue Heron Bridge, or going to the Gulf to hunt Meg teeth (low visibility). So doing a Spring would be a bit of a change and after doing a Meg hunt in 56* water, the Springs would be a sauna - haha!

At this point, greatly due to our experience level, we would not be interested in going much below 60-70'. So as far as Blue Grotto, we would not descend to the bottom narrower area (100'). We enjoy checking out any fish, turtles, etc., rock formations and such. I like the idea they (Devil's Den and Blue Grotto) have air fills on site as we only have 1 tank each right now. Another consideration is the drive. These two are about 2-1/2 hours from the house - so a doable day drive (we're East of Orlando on the Atlantic coast). We don't want to get over 2-1/2 hours drive time.

So any thoughts on which might be better or if there is something closer that is equally as good? We might consider a location w/out air fills (ie. we'd only dive 1 tank) if it were a bit closer to the house (1.5hrs or less). If there are "must-do" Springs that are further than 2.5hrs, and there is camping, we could always make a weekend out of it and take the motorhome?!

So give me what you got, with that aforementioned in mind. Thanks in advance!

Blue Grotto and Devil's Den are so close to each other there is nothing stopping you from doing both on a single day...except paying the entrance fee to both in one day. I find that they both have their own unique character and can't say that one would be better than the other. For me personally, after making one or two dives at either site, they quickly became locations to simply "get wet", practice skills, or try out new gear while driving south. There really is not much that changes from one visit to the other. I do encourage everybody I know to dive both, as they are Central Florida dive sites that should be visited at least once. For cool weather diving, I do like the facilities at Blue Grotto. The warm shower is great.

I visited Blue Grotto in December and waited 45 minutes for the air fill person to show up...never did. The front desk staff also seemed more interested to be talking on her cell phone than dealing with customers...but it was a slow weekday morning...so I am hoping the "A-Team" was off for the day.

How far is Crystal River Florida from you. A drift dive down the Rainbow River with Birds or American Pro is kind of fun. It's incredibly easy diving, the water is very clear, it's ultra shallow and fun to interact with the fresh water fish. I'm not sure it's a 'must do' dive site, but it's fun to do once or twice. If you do it in the winter, you can also combine the trip with a manatee snorkel on Crystal River too.

As an FYI, American Pro used to do a manatee snorkel combined with a guided scuba dive into Kings cavern which is in the middle of the river. Again not a 'must do' but still fun to do once or twice

Do ride a CBR? Trying figure out the origin of your screen name

Last edited:
@sportxlh - Crystal River is also about 2.5hrs from us, so doable for sure. One of my other daughters (non-certified) and I did a Manatee snorkel one time. It was pretty cool. I've heard of doing the Rainbow River drift dive. How shallow is it?

I personally prefer the grotto now that devil's den allows snorkelers, but both are great sites.

+1 For rainbow. The water is crystal clear since from a spring. Depth varies. It is 10 ft or so in the flats and then drops to maybe 20ft in the deep sand depressions. Can watch spring water bubble up through. Lots of fresh water fish life and animal life. Be sure to swing to the right and catch the large bowfin hanging there. Since spring fed will be 72 degree water. You go up in a pontoon boat and then drift down. Bubble watchers can ride the boat. You can go at your own pace so stop and watch stuff.

Like Steve said, 10 feet on average but a few deeper spots and a few shallower.

Kings Spring is 45 deep or so. The guided dive isn't very long, maybe 15 or 20 minutes, but it's interesting seeing the snook and then popping up out of cavern amongst the manatees. You can't scuba with manatees, but if you come out of the cavern slowly, you get to briefly observe them underwater. I stopped at the cavern mouth for a few moments and watched them swim over and around..... extra cool

On the way back ot the boat from King Spring had a pair of BIG tarpon come up and look at me from a couple feet away.

When I did King Spring we were also allowed to snorkel with the manatees as the other half of th trip.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom