Spree Expeditions 2011 tech diving schedule

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wookie

Proud to be a Chaos Muppet
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
2011 contains the most ambitious tech schedule we've ever posted. Of course, I'm always open to suggestions for a charter, so if you see I'm someplace near where you want to go, I'd love to hear your suggestions.

16-21 March. Riley's hump deep black grouper spawning research. This is a closed trip. We are looking for spawning black grouper south of Dry Tortugas National Park. Rebreather only, 150-22- feet. Normoxic trimix.

1-4 July S-16 penetration trip. I took Richie Kohler to the S-16 last year for a day, along with a group of clients. Richie wants to go back and open up the S-16. We're going to give it the old college try. The S-16 was sealed in 1945 when she was sunk, and Billy Deans opened the forward torpedo room and after steering compartment. Our goal is to get into the control room and document the penetration. There will be no artifact collection allowed on this site. If we get bored, the Wilkes Barre will be our second destination. Depths to 280 feet, full trimix, advanced wreck penetration divers only, OC/CC trip. Training will be available on this trip.

7-10 July. Dry Tortugas Normoxic trip. This is our annual trip to the Dry Tortugas. I have been bugging shrimpers for their hang log, and have wheedled 45,000 hangs in the Gulf of Mexico out of the Fort Myers Shrimp Fleet. I had to promise not to share the hangs, but there are some very promising new sites. We will, of course dive the Rhien and Araby Maid (artifact collection allowed), as well as search for some new numbers at night. Depths to 250, but these wrecks are easily dived at 220 feet, so normoxic trimix is welcome on this charter.

August 30-Sept 1 Brine Seep. For those who don't care about wrecks, we have a special trip to the Texas Flower Gardens Brine Seep. One of the only brine lakes in diving depths in the world, the brine lake is about 220 feet under the surface, and holds a brine pool 10-14 inches deep, over a couple of acres. Day 2 will be spent on McGrail bank, and day 3 will likely be on the wreck of the VA Fogg off of Galveston/Freeport, TX. The Fogg isn't particularly deep, so there will be one long dive, then back to the dock. This will be a normoxic trimix trip.

September 30-October 2, Oriskany/Ozark full trimix. Everyone knows the Oriskany, but the Ozark is the real prize here. The Oriskany on the first day will let us make sure that all gear is in tune, that all the boat's systems are right, because day 2 and 3 will be spent on the Ozark. The Ozark sits in 330 feet of water, although the dive is typically 200 feet. That's deep for the OC guys and girls, so scooters are encouraged. I should have a couple of rentals then, so that can be arranged. Advanced Trimix only, please.

October 7-9 Tech Lite on the Oriskany. A tech lite trip means that anyone can come along and dive to the limits of their c-card. We will offer 2 dives per day, and this is an awesome chance to bring your instructor and knock out those pesky certs you can't seem to get finished. It's 3 days on the Oriskany (5 dives), bring your scooters and have a blast.

Additionally, we have a couple of closed dates on the Oriskany. Closed dates means that you must go through a dive shop to book. Monkey Diver has a rebreather only long weekend on the Oriskany on September 16-18, which I believe is wait list only, ask Monkey or Tienuts, and The Dive Shop in Fairfax has a tech charter on the Oriskany on September 23-25, contact them for details.

Please remember, the Spree is a US based boat with all of the liability stuff that goes with that. We have a Diving Safety Officer on every trip to ensure that the diving goes smoothly. The DSO has the final word with all matters regarding dive safety, and the DSO reports directly to me. If the DSO says you don't have the right card, you won't make the dive. Our tech diving rules follow the standards of the training agencies and the industry. I don't necessarily like it, but I do like my insurance company allowing me to continue to offer tech charters. Please read the terms and conditions for tech diving before signing up for any charter. I hope to see any, many, or all of you on the Spree this year.

Frank

Sounds like a great lineup Frank! :thumb:

Monkey Diver has a rebreather only long weekend on the Oriskany on September 16-18, which I believe is wait list only, ask Monkey or Tienuts...

Kim Inge is handling this trip, if anyone wants to get on the waiting list, PM her here at Down4fun, or email her at kimbur96@aol.com.

larry & i are hoping to go on the tech lite trip. if i have mix by then, great, if not...we'll dive the limit of my certs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom