Spotted Puffer Behavior Near Kona, Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

designbysue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What are these spotted puffers doing?

Spotted Puffers .JPG

Video: http://www.designbysue.com/gallery3... Puffers (mating ?) MVI_2464.mov?m=1457820332

Probably mating, but sure looked strange. The smaller one was just hang in on while the larger one tried to swim along.

Thanks
Sue

i don't know what is going on...but thanks for sharing a great photo.

I got a video of the same behavior with balloonfish in Dominica in February, but the one in front was definitely upset,with all spines up and wiggling to get away from the larger one chewing on its tail. I don't seem to be able to upload the video; if anyone want to see it I'll post it on YouTube and send a link.

Sure - I would like to see the video - wondering if it is similar. Both being puffers - must be mating. The larger one in my pics has a fat belly - maybe eggs?? Will have to do research. Hoping someone will chime in with the answer.

Sorry this took so long. See video at The one whose tail is being chewed on has all his (or her) spines up. Not a happy camper.

interesting and funny at the same time...

Very cool behavior! With territorial behavior, most fish will make short aggressive charges/bites at the intruder and then back off, so as not to leave the territory unattended. The persistence of the "hanger on" indeed suggest that this is a male that is trying to coerce the female to mate with him. Also, you'll notice the larger female's round belly. Even though these are puffers, the belly distended that much looks like eggs.

Back
Top Bottom