Spotted Moray Eel from Boynton Beach (Florida)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marriard

Contributor
Reaction score
These images taken in December of last year. Which will give you an idea on how far behind I am on getting my images ready...

This from perhaps my favourite dive site in east Florida - Boynton Ledges. Always consistantly good, with a fantastic coral ledge relief, I used to dive there at least once or twice a week when I lived in the area. Now when I visit Florida, I always make it a point to request this site.

Water was pretty cold for Florida, and the vis was awful, but this Spotted Moray Eel (Gymnothorax moringa) was still out for a photo op.

2005-12-19-08-37-25.jpg

2005-12-19-08-37-03.jpg

2005-12-19-08-36-20.jpg

2005-12-19-08-38-25.jpg

Nikon D2X, Subal Housing, Dual Inon 220's, 60mm lens, ASA100, F8-F10, 1/100

Enjoy,
M

Nice shot! Wish I could afford a Subal housing for my D2H!

Hi Marriard:

I live in and dive S. Florida, so I really enjoyed your post. The vis is an issue down here which means close up or macro generally works better than WA as you discovered. We have a number of good sized spotted morays. I find them to be much more camera shy than their big green brothers and sisters, and it is easy to get shots of nothing other that a snout sticking out of a hole. Your images are all keepers in my book. You also were patient enough to time the eel's "breathing" cycle to get great open mouth shots and good teeth. Bravo.

---Bob

Very nice.

Hi Ron:

I will let Mirriard tell you but it looks like the inside of the third reef. Probably 65' in the sand up to 53' on top. I would imagine the shot was taken on the inside ledge between the sand and the reef crest as it usually has a lot of holes and makes a good home for the spotteds. JMO.

---Bob

ScubaBOBuba:
Hi Ron:

I will let Marriard tell you but it looks like the inside of the third reef. Probably 65' in the sand up to 53' on top. I would imagine the shot was taken on the inside ledge between the sand and the reef crest as it usually has a lot of holes and makes a good home for the spotteds. JMO.

---Bob

Exactly right. I was out with StarFish & Capt Craig. Probably a little shallower than this (45' on top,60' in the sand), but definetly the inside of the third reef line. That is the best 'line' of all the reefs on the east coast of Florida.

Marriard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom