Spotted Eagle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tearless Tom

Reaction score
I believe this is an Eagle Ray Please correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't had time to research it.

Taken at the Place of Refuge on a shore dive in Kona Ha. 3-3-04.

He/She was about 60 feet away and moving fast. Water was still kicked up from the storm they had. Here the visibility would be considered as very good. When I certified the vis. was about 5 feet. It really make one appreciate clear water. LOL

Olympus 5050
PT-015

Looks like a spotted eagle ray with it's tail chopped off.
Cool picture.

Look like an Eagle Ray to me...wonder what happened to it's tail?

the spots sure say "eagle ray." maybe it's the angle, but the wings seem a little
too round for an eagle ray... plus there's the "missing" tail...

hmmm.... without a better picture, i'd have to say eagle ray, tentatively

Dee:
Look like an Eagle Ray to me...wonder what happened to it's tail?

They're frequently bitten off by sharks, particularly hammerheads. Skates and rays are their preferred prey, often bashed into the sand by the "hammer end". The thing's function apparently is not limited to sensory enhancement.

Or maybe the tail was snipped by an aquarium. Some of the less scrupulous establishments find it easier to clip the tail rather than just the spine.

I'm not clear on the ID either. Too many spots, the colour is off (the body shouldn't be so black), the wings don't appear to taper, and its in the Pacific (more confusing species). I vaguely recall seeing photos of something like this once. Maybe the Pacific eagle rays are different from Caribbean ones. In that case maybe the tail is SUPPOSED to look that way.

Here are two more shots. Like I said he was not that close and moving much faster than me...Perhaps you can I.D. it here better.
Thanks

Over on the Mahi and here at the Sea Tiger we have lots of spotted eagle rays and this one does look like a spotted eagle ray to me too....like you say the wing tips look more rounded. On the one side it even looks like a piece is missing. But then again that all depends on the angle that the picture was taken and the movement of the wings. In one of the pictures below the wings are down so it does look more rounded at the tips.

As for the spots I have seen ones with lots and ones with few, some big some small, sorta like their finger print...even the pattern on the inside is different on each one.

But they are supposed to have a tail, must have lost it some how. Would make it harder to steer, wouldn't it?
Tom, did you get a look at its face? if it looks like the ones in the pictures below, then it was a spotted eagle ray.

Hope this helps,
Lisa

Yes, now I'm sure...it is a spotted eagle ray!
They are fun to watch, aren't they? Such grace.....
Hope you'll be posting more
Aloha, Lisa

Here is one that we see at the Mahi. It has a curly tail and is avoided by the other rays.

tearless tom:

yup... that's an eagle ray...

wish we could find out the real story behind the tail... what has this little guy/gal
been up to, huh?

at least he/she survived whatever it was!

Back
Top Bottom