Sportsways Waterlung "Navy Unit"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Holmes

Reaction score
# of dives
I got real lucky on ebay and found a near mint "Navy Unit." It is identical to the one I bought in 1960 and used until 1992 (and sold) My dive shop poo-pooed my purchase and made the sign of the cross if I thought about using it.

Throughout the period of the 60's and 70's I often disassembled the unit and checked seats and o-rings. So accomplishing this process with the new (to me) ebay unit was a piece of cake.

After replacing all of the o-rings and checking it on a cylinder, I found that the diaphram in the 2nd stage was a little less pliable that it should be. As a result, the needle valve didn't close all of the way. I used some silicon on the diaphram and it helped a little, but still a slight hiss. (no it wasn't a result of the needle valve seat)

Now what? finding a new diaphram would be an act of futility.

Providence however was on my side. Through a purchase of a bunch of used equipment, I found a Sportsways "Malibu" unit. I removed the diaphram, replaced it on the Navy Unit and found that it worked perfectly.

I told my dive shop that I was going to test it in the pool which I did. My instructor was pacing like a new father in a maternity ward making statements like "that regulator was made before I was born" and "That regulator should be put on a shelf entitled antiques"

I am pleased to share with you that it not only worked, but it in my opinion worked as well as my brand new Scuba Pro.

I would have no problem taking the Navy Unit anywhere I would take a new regulator. In fact during the time when I was diving for both recreation and as a recovery diver, I would quickly add that the Navy Unit went places where I would never dream of going today and was part of a 26 year search and recovery activity during my younger years.

So I guess what I am saying is don't be too hasty to downplay some of the vintage equipment. Of course an enormous amount of common sense goes with making this statement. The Navy Unit was considered a cadillac in it's production day. In fact, it was the regulator of choice by the members of the San Bernardino CA Search and Rescue Unit during the 60's and 70's. I suspect if any of those guys are still diving they are using the NU as their primary regulator.

I am now looking for spare parts for the Navy Unit to backup the unit I now own once again. If you see anything that would help, I would appreciate a note shrinertom@yahoo.com

Tom

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom