Sports Supplements???!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flatflam

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have been on a strength program and was taking a supplement called Big Blue. This is just one brand that the product is marketed under. Basically it is L-arginine that claims to increase nitrogen RETENTION. With the supplements not being FDA approved they can make all sorts of claims BUT my concern with this is with divers. I don't know if anyone else has thought of this question but could be a potential problem with decompression sickness....any information on a Nitrous Oxide being harmful to divers would be appreciated...I have discontinued use and sought a more natural approach to muscle construction but if this does help raise awareness or shines light on a potential life threating condition then it will not be a dumb question. Thanks in advance!

Neat question, but:

Nitrous Oxide (N2O) also known as laughing gas is not involved in DCS, primarily because it's not commonly around divers.
They might have been talking about Nitric Oxide (NO), a "cell signaling" compound in mammals. This also seems unrelated to DCS, but rather is related to internal body chemistry.
Free Nitrogen (N2), the main component in the air we breathe, is the gas of issue.

I suspect any "nitrogen" retention they're talking about would be various Nitrogen biological compounds, not the gas N2. I don't see how the supplement would have any affect on DCS, unless L-arginine dehydrates you.

Hi flimflam,

As a general orientation to this inquiry, let me open with a quote from a genuine sports nutritionist: "There are lies, damn lies and sports supplements".

Big Blue bills itself as a nitric oxide (NO) enhancer. Nitrous oxide (N2O)(aka "laughing gas") is an entirely different gas and cannot be liberated or enhanced by products like Big Blue. This is a good thing as N20 easily could promote the diver to make fatal mistakes.

Big Blue claims NO enhancement through the activity of a non-essential amino acid, beta-alanine. Now, while I'm far from an expert in sports supplementation or amino acid chemistry, I do know that thе science to date on NO enhancement by amino acids in general, and beta-alanine in particular, can most charitably be said to be incomplete and inconclusive.

If your concern is a claim by Big Blue that it increases nitrogen (N) retention, then fret no further. In supplements that claim to be nitrogen-containing or nitrogen-retention enhancing, the nitrogen in question is in molecular, not gaseous form. As such, these compounds will not affect the diver's risk of DCS on the basis of increased dissolved N2 in tissue. However, certain supplements making such claims, like many of those containing creatine, at least theoretically could contribute to DCS risk by mechanisms such as dehydration.

In general, it seems prudent both healthwise and financially to take such claims with a grain of salt and go easy on the sports supplements.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

I have been on a strength program and was taking a supplement called Big Blue. This is just one brand that the product is marketed under. Basically it is L-arginine that claims to increase nitrogen RETENTION. With the supplements not being FDA approved they can make all sorts of claims BUT my concern with this is with divers. I don't know if anyone else has thought of this question but could be a potential problem with decompression sickness....any information on a Nitrous Oxide being harmful to divers would be appreciated...I have discontinued use and sought a more natural approach to muscle construction but if this does help raise awareness or shines light on a potential life threating condition then it will not be a dumb question. Thanks in advance!
The only effect nitric oxide would have for the diver would be the possibility of vaso dilation.....the dilation of your blood vessels. This is something desirable for both strength and endurance athletes, at certain times of the day, as this relates to training response.
For a diver, there could be a "slight" possibility of quicker on-gassing, followed by quicker off-gassing with dilated blood vessels. More than likely, the net effect is would be for you to "mimic" an athelete with better perfusion than what you usually enjoy ( better bloodflow/better cardivascular system) , so theoretically this could be a good supplement....
In perspective, when compared to the beverages available on most dive boats, such as coca cola or other sodas, I would have you on the Big Blue over the massive sugar and insulin spiking of the coke....the biochemical effects of the coca cola being potentially much worse than most divers will ever be aware of.

Hello flatflam:

The concept of medicines that would retain nitrogen is not related to DCS. The problems of DCS are related to gas bubble formation from gaseous nitrogen.

I might hazard a guess that the "retention of nitrogen" deals with proteins and muscle buildup. Whether or not this is true, it has no bearing on DCS. Our bodies already contain a large amount of protein and molecular nitrogen [along with carbon, oxygen, hydrogen, etc.] that proteins contain. This is not gaseous nitrogen. Rest easy with this one!

Dr Deco :doctor:

Thank you to all for your input!!! I tend to over anyalze everything lol measure 50 times cut once haha. I am glad to have found this site the information is awesome!!

Hello flatflam:

I am pleased that this SCUBA BOARD site is helpful. I am especially pleased that we have so many responders who are able to field the questions.

For a great many of the questions, I do not have answer. Sometimes I can only look up in a book, but I prefer to answer from my own personal research work, where possible. :coffee:

Hi flimflam,

As a general orientation to this inquiry, let me open with a quote from a genuine sports nutritionist: "There are lies, damn lies and sports supplements".
QUOTE]

LOL, I've taken them and I've found them great for giving me cool colored piss and gas that makes my dog leave the room. Great value if that is what a person is looking for, otherwise they are just to expensive with little value. Large cup of coffee and some oatmeal works as good for an energy boost, IMHO.

Hi flimflam,

QUOTE]

LOL, I've taken them and I've found them great for giving me cool colored piss and gas that makes my dog leave the room. Great value if that is what a person is looking for, otherwise they are just to expensive with little value. Large cup of coffee and some oatmeal works as good for an energy boost, IMHO.

LOL.

Amen Brother tyesai.

Regards,

DocV

Back
Top Bottom