Sport diving bell

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Monilite

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have begun gathering materials and crunching numbers to build an acrylic domed Aluminum framed divers' chamber. I am not trying to build a submarine, just a dive platform that can be descended to a predetermined depth and reliably stay there. My idea is that deco stops can become chat and light snack time. Another use would be to use it at very shallow depths to initiate reluctant individuals to the wonders of the underwater world. I am designing it to sit on pontoons and be towable by a small boat. Does this sound like something anybody out there would be willing to rent, or buy?:D Any dive boat operators out there interested in towing this during my shake-down operations?:confused:

Don;

I thought of that right away. I figure a suitably worded rental, or sale contract would reduce the risk to an acceptable level; we are talking about scuba diving here, so I feel safe in assuming a reasonable level of intelligence and caution in anyone interested in using it in the first place.

Monilite:
My idea is that deco stops can become chat and light snack time. Another use would be to use it at very shallow depths to initiate reluctant individuals to the wonders of the underwater world. :confused:

The reason I dive is to get away from chat time...lol...I enjoy the quiet and calming effect of being underwater.

Letting un-certified divers explore this is a very bad idea, since you can get a lung over expansion injury holding your breath at 4 feet, the general public doen't know this so have a hyperbarric chamber handy to treat all the air embolisms you will be seeing...:)

Was that garlic and anchovy pizza you had for lunch?

A numnber were produced in the So Cal area in the 1960s and 1970s. Most were constructed from a domed peice of clear plexiglass--about a 2 to 4 foot diameter

Problems with
A) Submerging
C) Anchoring
D) Storage
F) Size
G) Transporting

They were a fun toy for a while...

SDM

George Bass tried to use them on the classical archaeological wrecks he was working off of Turkey in the 70's. The idea was that divers could go into them to talk about a project and the next steps as an aid to the archaeological recovery.

But what they found was that at about 100' or deeper, the divers would start talking but the sound of their voices was changed due to the higher air pressure and with narcosis, this left the divers laughing almost uncontrolably and they were shortly eliminated.

We used them on Hydrolab. They were refered to as "Phonebooths." Some of the aquanauts used them for smoke breaks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom