splits vs traditional, non teck diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arcticcat

Reaction score
1)The test reports claim that splits are more efficient. But how representitive is doing laps in a pool compared to actual diving.

2)Using my best paddle on a long canoe trip one time i swapped paddles for the last mile. Of course it felt better, at first. It seems that many pro split fin folks (and everybody is intitled to an opinion) just tried them for a short while.

Just asking.

>>It seems that many pro split fin folks (and
everybody is intitled to an opinion) just tried them for a short while.<<

Ummm, are you suggesting that people who don't like splits are the ones who used them for a long while? Does that make sense?

Is it possible that ones who don't like them didn't stay with it long enough?

thanks for the pointer.

what i mean is that much of the positive feedback (re splits) comes from those who tried them in a pool or on a beach or possibly for 1 dive, in other words short term use.

have any tests been done on air consumption on actual dives.

Yes. Check out the test report on the Dive Rite web site.

My totally biased opinion.

Splits rule!

I'm 6'5" 210 lbs, dive with a lot of gear and quite honestly I've slowly been phasing out all of my traditional fins.

The Atomics in particular are quite simply my favorite. More than enough power with a nice small flutter kick and modified kicks are no problem.

that's just me and lots of people in here will disagree. Try some for yourself and be the judge. Different strokes fer different folks (literally)

good luck

best way to try stuff is to join a club and make freinds

I use blade style fins and have no plans to change. I have tried a few different brands of split fins and just don't care for them. They are nice for easy diving but lack when it comes to really needing some speed. I do a lot of spearfishing and crabbing while on SCUBA and need a quick burst of speed and the splits just don't provide it. For just swimming around they work great. The seem to require a different kick for me and I never got used to them. Also, I would be a little worried about them in a current and I dive a lot of current up here in the Pacific Northwest.

Scott

was like putting in the effort of an 8" Clement paddle and getting the results of a 12" tear drop style. From one avid canoeist to another, it IS like changing baddle styles... you do have to re-learn how to make the canoe slide without making it porpoise. If you kick like you would with a single blade, then you are missing the mark with split fins. Thats why so many people just don't like them... their kick just will not work in the same way.

I prefer traditional fins over split, I find that you have better manuvrability(I'm a horrible speller but yall get the jist of it) with the traditional, can stop, turn, do what ever faster with them. Where with the split you have a slightly delayed responce because it's letting water through the middle. Off the subject I'd say my favorite fin on the market now is the dacor black tiger, same design as the volo or tiger but stiffer and more durable.

I tried a pair of Twinjets in a pool for a few kicks. Bought a pair the next day, and have dove with nothing else since July. The only thing I would trade them for is another pair of Twinjets!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom