Splits vs. paddles. Back to back comparison.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I don't fiond cost to be the major determining factor in my fin choice.

My first set of fins were inexpensive paddles, and they generally got me where I wanted to go at the speeds I wanted to go there. But they seemed to put a lot of torque on my ankles to do so and after a week of four dives a day on a Bahamas trip, my ankles were very sore and I could make them *click* by moving my foot.

Later, I upgraded to a set of Tusa splits. Yes, I had to pay more. I find that I can generally go about the same speeds if I'm trying to swim quickly, and can still easily keep up with other divers who are just exploring if I keep my legs perfectly straight and do nothing more than point my toes again and again.

One thing I don't like about splits is the tendency to get tangled in just about everything on the dive boat before I get in the water. Once in the water, the comfort level for me goes way up compared to paddles.

It was worth it to me to spend the extra money and even if the paddles were significantly cheaper, I would not have chosen to keep them over the splits I have now.

Personally, I don't fiond cost to be the major determining factor in my fin choice.

My first set of fins were inexpensive paddles, and they generally got me where I wanted to go at the speeds I wanted to go there. But they seemed to put a lot of torque on my ankles to do so and after a week of four dives a day on a Bahamas trip, my ankles were very sore and I could make them *click* by moving my foot.

Later, I upgraded to a set of Tusa splits. Yes, I had to pay more. I find that I can generally go about the same speeds if I'm trying to swim quickly, and can still easily keep up with other divers who are just exploring if I keep my legs perfectly straight and do nothing more than point my toes again and again.

One thing I don't like about splits is the tendency to get tangled in just about everything on the dive boat before I get in the water. Once in the water, the comfort level for me goes way up compared to paddles.

It was worth it to me to spend the extra money and even if the paddles were significantly cheaper, I would not have chosen to keep them over the splits I have now.

I picked up my Mares Raptors for $59.99 brand new.

I paid $20 less than my dad did for his paddles. :D

I don't think there can be any doubt about that. That split down the middle certainly doesn't add to the material costs.
Yes, but all the manufacturers that make split fins have to pay a licensing fee to Nature's Wing, the inventor of the split technology.

I still have my Jets, Mares Plana and Avanti fins. I also have two pairs of the Apollo Prestige, and others.

What I use depends on the dive. I like the "feel" of my Prestige paddle fins, nice wide open scissor kick, good for the frog kick etc. For most of my local diving in Monterey Bay, The Channel Islands, or the North Coast, I like the bio-fin XT c-springs.
I, too, have and have-had a number of different fins. Prior to split fins, my regular buddy would complain that sometimes he had trouble keeping up with me. Then he bought a pair of Bio Fins, and said he felt he no longer had to work so hard to keep up with me. Of course, on that recommendation, I bought a pair too. I loved them and I now have 2 pair of Bio Fins and they are the fins I use most of the time. I also have a pair of Apollo Prestige fins. I find them to be the best for teaching snorkeling.

Over the years, I've had many other fins. My Jetfins and Plana fins come to mind. When Mares came out with the original Plana's, they really rocked. And just because their not the newest design, doesn't mean that they still aren't good fins. I also find it interesting that I'm am seeing more and more divers using Jetfins or jetfin clones or USD Rocket Fins and their clones.

Now, I have ordered a pair of the new SP Seawing Nova fins. I plan on using them for a while to see what I think. And, BTW, When it comes to split fins, I prefer the "rubber" Bio Fins over some of the harder plastic split fins. I feel the softer rubber Bio Fins allow a smoother kick.

Yes, but all the manufacturers that make split fins have to pay a licensing fee to Nature's Wing, the inventor of the split technology.

I wonder about that. The concept seems just a little too simple to get any kind of enforceable patent rights to. Obviously some companies do pay for it though. I believe Force Fins also has a split fin patent and there are others out there too.

I haven't had another chance to use the BioFins since my original post, but I did get out with the F1's again a couple times. I was also given a pair of Jet Fins yesterday and plan to dive them tomorrow.

Someday I'd like to do a more scientific comparison and measure actual thrust, speed and air consumption.

i have been using the tusa zoom splits since 2006 i love them best pair of fins i have ever had

utter rubbish, another useless gimmick

And there you have it, folks ... a carefully considered, introspective, fact-based opinion ....

Last edited:
Another person from the Charles Duell school of thinking.

Another person from the Charles Duell school of thinking.

"Everything that can be invented has been invented." ~Charles H. Duell, commissioner of the United States Patent and Trademark Office, 1899

Last edited:
You're good Krenath. :p

tusas cannot move a single kilo. you can fin in them for hours and you might move 1 meter :)

tried them once, unless you make 10-20 strikes per second you do not move much even in no current :)

depends on how competent and experienced a diver you are :wink:,i have no problem using tusa splits :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom