split fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HERB KING

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all, has anyone used the scubapro twin jets, and if so how did you like them. I know use a pair of the old jets but I am really thinking of purchasing a pair of the twins and would like some input before I lay down the money for them. Thanks, DSAO

Hi Herb:

I have a pair of the Scubapro graphite TwinJets and like them. I bought the TwinJets to fit my drysuit boots and liked them enough to start using them with my drysuit boots (DUI Rock Boots) when diving wet. They have significantly reduced kick effort compared to paddle fins. I bought the graphite (gray) because the foot pocket is more supple than the black rubber version and fit my boots better.

Now having said that, they are different than traditional paddle fins, but not necessarily better. I believe that it is perhaps slightly harder to control your attitude in the water with split fins than with paddle fins as people say, but I've not had the trouble with different kick styles (eg frog kick, etc.) that some people report. I've used the split fins in strong current. With the reduced kick effort I did find that I got a lot less tired fighting a current than I would have with a paddle fin, but if you have a strong kick and don't tire easily a paddle fin will probably propel you better against a current.

Bottom line, if you have Scubapro Jetfins now, like them, and have a strong kick, I doubt you'll see any improvement with the split fins. (You'll see a difference, but I doubt it will be an improvement.) Try them out on some dives (or at least in the pool) to see if they're right for you before you plunk down your money.

HTH,

Bill

i got a pair of graphites last April. Again, i have not had the problems with alternative kicks that some report, and the things work well in a strong current. Had to keep up with a school of 'cuda in a stiff current off the coast of Borneo and did just fine. Everyone else in the group ended up in my rearview mirror (some weenies even had to use reef hooks!). They are great for photographers IMHO. I can keep my legs straight, feet facing forwards and by moving each leg from right to left (feet forward at all times) in a scissors like fashion, i can go backwards!!! Great for backing out of crevices w/o touching the coral or stirring up silt!
The one thing that i am not crazy about is the fact that smaller kicks are required for the best efficiency. I like to make big kicks sometimes just to get the darn blood flowing (and for the sheer hell of it) and with these split fins, that just doesn't get me going as fast as i would like to go.

Also, IMHO, the buckles positively suck! They are hard to undo when getting back on the boat or waiting to make the charge onto shore between big sets. Come to think of it, mine are hard to fiddle with in the comfort of my living room! And they still stink after 70-80+ dives!!!! but hey, buckles can be changed. i just havent got a round TUIT!

The Atomic buckles are Waay better but those weren't even on the market when i bought mine.

The graphites also float, which is a plus for me because if i ever lose one during entry or exit, i will know where to look for the thing! Mine are not so buoyant that they pull my feet up either.

I have the regular black rubber spit fins, and would only emphasize mike's comment about using a "scissor kick" out to the side and back to slowly propel yourself when viewing reef life, etc. effortlessly with super control...on your back or front! Discovered this kind of by accident, but it is really true.

They're a bit different, but I use mine all the time now.

I agree with everyone as well. I would never trade my split fins. You do have to use a smaller kick but the propulsion is great. I can keep up to if not pass people I had a hard time keeping up to before. And the buckles do really "suck". I added an adaptor to the back of the fin strap. Its a triangle of plastic that you thread the fin strap through. I set the straps where they should be when on and now I don't even bother unbuckling them. Just reach down, put two fingers through the triangle (works like a hook)and pull the strap out and up on my heel. Easy to take off too. People are always asking to try them out and everyone loves them. Going backwards or maintaining a stationary position are easy and effortless.

I've goat a pair of the Apollo Bio-Fins, they're all pretty much the same, these are black rubber like the Scubapro fins, but these have the loops on the back of the straps, haven't tried a pair of the Scubapro fins, but I sure like these, once you try them out, you'll never go back to regular fins again!

Thanks for the response. I bit the bullet and purchased a
set of scubapro Jet fins and have already tried them out.
So far they seem to be everything promised. I need to get a
few more dives on them before I will say they are better than my old jets. The only thing that I find inferior is
when Iam on the surface on my back they dont seem to be as
effecient but that is a small price to pay.
Thanks again

yeah i found that out too... Best thing to do is keep 'dem feet underwater. you will still be able to go at a good pace! I kept my old pair of US Divers Compros for snorkeling around or free-diving (still never use 'em anymore) but a pair of freediving fins may be in my future. I need to play around with them a little more and make some serious comparisons before i know whats what...

Here's my two cents:
Split fins are great for diver's whom don't have an abundance of power in their legs, and for those divers whom dive in environments that don't have a great deal of surge or current. They are not however good at all in surgy waters.

I personaly have large legs and a great deal of power, I tend to over-kick split fins. In fact as an instructor, I have raced other fit instructors whom have used split fins in a real world environment and won, time and time again!

The best thing you can possibly do is to try out different fins. Some large, resourceful dive shops have demo fins available at their pools for customers to try out. At $180 bucks a pair, wouldn't you want to see if there for you?

i've never had any problems /w/ mine in current or surge and i do most of my diving in So Cal where we have a lot of both. I have even used some alternative kicks on a penetration of the Yukon a few weeks ago and found that they worked well /w/ all except the frog kick. I had to learn to use smaller kicks but the increase in efficiency was worth it. I have not yet been overtaken in any "races" with anyone, not even by one of my free-diving buddies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom