Spiegel Grove sinks prematurely and upside down!!...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did it go down in the spot intended, or somewhere on the way? Hope it's still within recreational depths... otherwise the Keys just scored a new tech-only dive. :(

Originally posted by bengiddins
Did it go down in the spot intended, or somewhere on the way? Hope it's still within recreational depths... otherwise the Keys just scored a new tech-only dive. :(

She's in the right spot, just turtled ;-0

Tom

will change her position anyway. Off NC they sunk the Aeolus and she went from laying pretty well over on her stbd side to nearly straight up to her current stage of being in three parts and all askew. She was only about 75 feet shorter than Spiegel Grove.

A Jinx I tell you!

Do you all remember the HMCS Yukon? Well she was scheduled to "sink" mid-July a couple of years ago off San Diego. Since I was going to be passing through at the begining of August, I immediately arranged to go and dive her (after all what Canadian could pass up traveling to the USA to dive a Canadian vessel?). Arrangement were made, and then poof she sank prematurely - on her side.... sigh.

I had thought that some of us were "sort of" planning to dive the
Spiegel Grove in July after Wreckmania.... poof she sinks -upside down....sigh

I don't think I should try planning to dive anything "scheduled" to sink.... I think I am a jinx :wink:

Originally posted by DivingGal
A Jinx I tell you!

I don't think I should try planning to dive anything "scheduled" to sink.... I think I am a jinx :wink:

Ohh great, thanks a lot!! So it's all YOUR fault... Sheesh!

:wink:

Originally posted by UncleJT
Here is a better URL with more, and larger, pictures.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20020517/D7JIK5CO1.html

- JT

Yes, that one's much better. Thanks JT!

On a side note: Will this make the SG a BETTER wreck dive? I'm thinking it'll at least be a bit more interesting now since it has some wreck history and won't just be sitting flat on the bottom (barring a miracle).

Heck if it lands totally upside down that well deck may make a heck of a cave dive!

Just trying to look on the bright side. :D

The pictures show the bow of the SG sticking out og the water. Could that be trapped air holding her up? Also, one of the stories says she's in 160' of water. With her upside down that basicly puts anything interesting outside of recreational limits. For most people this just became a dive to the hull of the SG and nothing else.

Ty

From her pictures, she appears to have quite a lot of draft, easily enough to put her within 130' for the deck :)

From a reef formation standpoint, is there significant difference in reef growth vs final hull configuration?

Jeff

Originally posted by tchil01
The pictures show the bow of the SG sticking out og the water. Could that be trapped air holding her up? Also, one of the stories says she's in 160' of water. With her upside down that basicly puts anything interesting outside of recreational limits. For most people this just became a dive to the hull of the SG and nothing else.

Ty

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom