SPG vs tank checker gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icechip

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This season, I notice my tank checker gauge is consistently reading the tank pressure at about 400psi more than my SPG. It will read tank at 3000psi but then I attach the SPG and it will read 2600psi, not sure why the discrepancy? Is it time for a new tank checker? Can I fiddle with the current one and maybe 'fix' it?

I think you're right. I dug out an old back-up SPG and it read much closer to the tank checker. So the SPG on my rig is the suspect one. Good to narrow it down! Thanks.

I think you're right. I dug out an old back-up SPG and it read much closer to the tank checker. So the SPG on my rig is the suspect one. Good to narrow it down! Thanks.
Yeah, I've had a few gauges get less accurate over time. I have a digital gauge on my fill whip that is super accurate. I'll use that occasionally to get a baseline reading on a tank and then check all my stage/deco/bg regs to see how far off they have gotten and if replacement is warranted. Digital gauges are pricey so see if your shop has one you can check your tank checker against.

Gauges need to be calibrated periodically to remain accurate. Your Local Dive shop should be able to adjust these gauges in most cases.

I have 4 SPGs none of them will give me the same reading on the same tank. I think it's the nature of the beast.

Gauges need to be calibrated periodically to remain accurate. Your Local Dive shop should be able to adjust these gauges in most cases.
What SPG is adjustable?

What SPG is adjustable?
My thoughts exactly. They are sealed and done. Don't work right, get a new one. DGX has them for a good price. Get a new spool while at it.

Which gauge is accurate? Find someone with a reference gauge and use that. We have an instrumentation lab at work that has gauges calibrated all the way back to the national standards. I've only used them for personal use a couple of times. I know they can do high pressures but only used them for setting tire pressure gauges.

So without access to standards, looking at your numbers. I see a 3000 and 2600 PSI. If the shop was short filling people to 2600 there would be a lot of outcry about it. So they probably really are filling to 3000. That is probably the correct reading.

And that is the reason I trust my pressure transmitter over any analog gauges. The pressure transducers are much more reliable and accurate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom