spg spindle service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fxrguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an older Sherwood spg that I believe was manufactored in 1996. It has what I believe to be a date on the back 11/96. I would like to find a replacement spindle for this spg. My question/s are:

1 - How do I identify the correct replacement spindle for this spg?

2 - Where would I obtain the replacement spindle?

3 - Do the replacement spindles come with o-ring installed and if so, are they already lubed?
4 - Where would I obtain this lube?

I've removed the old spindle and it looks ok but I would like to have a spare just in case! None of the spindles I've found on-line look similar to the original one. This doesn't look like brain surgery so I would like to do this service myself but finding the correct spindle and lube is the only hard part.

Attachments

• IMG_0782.jpg
    IMG_0782.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0783.jpg
    IMG_0783.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
your main issue is finding someone that will sell you this, some places will only sell them if fitting them for you.

It is such a basic task that would take a couple of minutes, so really should not cost much for someone to do it for you and if you can find a dive centre that uses Sherwood it's the sort of thing they will have in stock.

If you can find someone to sell you one new to fit yourself then fine, just show them the old one and tell them you want a replacement, I have only ever seen one type of spindle by Sherwood but there are likely other types.

In terms of lube - it would not come lubed but i would expect it to come with o rings.

By the way, why are you replacing the spindle? if there are bubbles coming from the connection then it is most likely a damaged o ring and nothing else.

Lube can be obtained through dive centres amongst other places, youu could probably find somwhere online that delivers

Which one of these HP stems does yours look like?

I have at least one each of those three HP stems in my save-a-dive kit. It has come in handy on a few occasions (for other divers).

You can use either O2-compatible lube (Christolube or Tribolube 71) in conjunction with EPDM, Viton, or Buna-N o-rings. Regular old silicone lube will work, too. The o-rings are size -003. I've used duro 75 and duro 90 o-rings successfully. Duro 90 are more difficult to mount onto the stems. Lube the o-rings very generously.

FWIW, my LDS maintains the HP stem (uses ultrasonic cleaner on the stem and replaces o-rings) as part of the reg overhaul servicing.

Which one of these HP stems does yours look like?

I have at least one each of those three HP stems in my save-a-dive kit. It has come in handy on a few occasions (for other divers).

You can use either O2-compatible lube (Christolube or Tribolube 71) in conjunction with EPDM, Viton, or Buna-N o-rings. Regular old silicone lube will work, too. The o-rings are size -003. I've used duro 75 and duro 90 o-rings successfully. Duro 90 are more difficult to mount onto the stems. Lube the o-rings very generously.

FWIW, my LDS maintains the HP stem (uses ultrasonic cleaner on the stem and replaces o-rings) as part of the reg overhaul servicing.

I'm trying to figure out which one it is also. The following link has what appears to be the same spindles that your link does. The straight spindle doesn't have enough space on the ends past the o-rings to match. It definitaly isn't the shoulder spindle. The bullet nose spindle is similar with about the same space on each end past the o-rings but mine isn't bullet nosed....

Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

your main issue is finding someone that will sell you this, some places will only sell them if fitting them for you.

It is such a basic task that would take a couple of minutes, so really should not cost much for someone to do it for you and if you can find a dive centre that uses Sherwood it's the sort of thing they will have in stock.

If you can find someone to sell you one new to fit yourself then fine, just show them the old one and tell them you want a replacement, I have only ever seen one type of spindle by Sherwood but there are likely other types.

In terms of lube - it would not come lubed but i would expect it to come with o rings.

By the way, why are you replacing the spindle? if there are bubbles coming from the connection then it is most likely a damaged o ring and nothing else.

Lube can be obtained through dive centres amongst other places, youu could probably find somwhere online that delivers

I bought this spg used and wanted to check it out before diving with it. Since it is open I might as well lube it and wanted a spare in my save a dive kit since they are so inexpensive. Also just like trying to do some basic stuff myself.

I'm trying to figure out which one it is also. The following link has what appears to be the same spindles that your link does. The straight spindle doesn't have enough space on the ends past the o-rings to match. It definitaly isn't the shoulder spindle. The bullet nose spindle is similar with about the same space on each end past the o-rings but mine isn't bullet nosed....

Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment
Does this picture help?

5414376909_271517b80e.jpg

Top to bottom: shoulder-style, straight, bullet-nose

Does this picture help?
9fs6C2

Top to bottom: shoulder-style, straight, bullet-nose

I guess what I need to do is measure the overall length of my spg. The only two that might fit are the straight at 13/16" and the bullet nose at 15/16". I'll pull it back out and measure it tomorrow.

The bullet nose will work in that gauge no problem. At the shop we only stock the bullet and the shouldered spindles - replace the flats with bullets all the time no problem. (Was rep for Sherwood back in "96 and that timeframe teaching techs how to fix the Sherwood line of gear so have a little background here)

The bullet nose will work in that gauge no problem. At the shop we only stock the bullet and the shouldered spindles - replace the flats with bullets all the time no problem. (Was rep for Sherwood back in "96 and that timeframe teaching techs how to fix the Sherwood line of gear so have a little background here)

Thanks for the info. I'll be ordering one today. Haven't even used the spg yet but since it is 15 years old why tempt fate? What lube would you recommend? "Bubbletrouble" suggested using either O2-compatible lube such as Christolube or Tribolube 71 or just plain silicone lube. I can get silicon lube pretty easy unless it is some special kind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom