spg off by 30bars??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stepfen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everybody,
My generic (there is OXYGEN written where other SPGs show their brand) 2" / 52cm brass SPG shows about 30bars less than the actual pressure. Around 170 bars with full tank (200 real bars) and around 30 bars with tank at 60bars. Is it a write off or??? I plan to remove it from the hose and inspect the pin hole, spool etc, but what else can be done?
It is roughly 2 years old (~200 dives) and one year (~100 dives) since last spool o-ring replacement/inspection. Relatively well taken care of (rinsed after every dive day, hasn't been dropped/ banged etc- at least not too much).
It was working fine up to few dives ago. Then I noticed that one "full" tank was showing 170bar. I though the valve was not closed properly and it was slowly leaking. Then second tank the same - I thought it was just coincidence and another leaking valve. Then another day the same - I thought the shop maybe had readjusted the switching off pressure (they have an auto cut-off valve at 220bar for hot fills).
Today it happened again and I swapped regs with my buddy (previous times I was solo - I have an SPG for my pony tank but haven't thought to cross check it with it) and that's how I confirmed it. With full tanks (200bars confirmed by buddy's spg and AI DC) it was showing 170bars and at the end of the dive it was showing 30 instead of the real 60 bars.
Anything I can do??
Thanks a lot in advance...

Thanks @tbone1004 . Any idea how/why that happened?? Anything I Can do better with the next one?

It hasn't seen more than 220bars for sure (it was supposed to be up to 300bars).
I generally open the valves slow but could go slower.
Thanks

New one is on the way.
It was shipped Thursday... Hope for the best :)
You have to be really unlucky to have two lemons. They usually last for yrs!

First thing that would happen to me is remembering if it was reading low or high

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom