SPG Boot? Better to have or unnecessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyFrog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The sound of my big 2.5 highland spg banging on the boat seat or other hard surface, hurts my ears and feels painful...

How worried should I be about damages to it, both aesthetically or functionally?

On the one hand, it's pretty assuring to me if it's covered by a boot and I don't have to mind the spg or be very careful when sitting down after getting out of the water.
On the other hand, boot is prone to trap water and hide things like coersions.

What's y'alls opinions?

I have SPGs with and without boots.

The notion, as I understood it, is that a bare gauge is less likely to corrode without the boot, possibly entrapping salt water within; though, as you may already realize, they are far more prone to mechanical damage, without that protection.

Those that I have with boots typically only remain that way, because they possess multiple analogue gauges; or because the particular rubber polymer is of a very stiff variety and well-nigh impossible to remove . . .

for larger 2"+ brass, no boot as they generally are tough enough. the smaller slimline gauges or ones with plastic bodies live in boots.

I have SPGs with and without boots.

The notion, as I understand it, is that the bare gauge is less likely to corrode without the boot, trapping salt water within; though, as you already realize, they may be more prone to mechanical damage, in that state.

Those that I have with boots typically remain that way, since the rubber is particularly a stiff variety and all-nigh impossible to remove . . .

So is it fair to say that you don't even know how much corrosion there is under the boot since you never remove them?

I wonder if good soaking post dive can realistically eliminate the issue of corrosion.
(I usually soak a good couple of hours or even overnight post dive... not sure if it's excessive.)

I went bootless a number of years ago. But if you are typically diving from a crowded boat and things are getting banged around, I can understand if you want to keep a boot. There is no substitute for a good rinse and that plus regular servicing should ensure that you don't have too many problems.

I went bootless a number of years ago. But if you are typically diving from a crowded boat and things are getting banged around, I can understand if you want to keep a boot. There is no substitute for a good rinse and that plus regular servicing should ensure that you don't have too many problems.

Yeah I figured.

What do you mean servicing? :) I thought the usual shops only take apart/rebuild the Regs and first stage.

Do they do anything with the SPGs as well, as part of the servicing?

Add a boltsnap to the hose below the spg.
Clip off the boltsnap to your bc both on and under the boat to avoid damage.

You could also dive with the boot on and take it off at home when you do your rinsing. Best of both world?

Get yourself an air integrated wrist computer and a BCD mounted octo/inflator and lose the gauge entirely

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom