"Special Discount" On Gear From Dive School

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that there are often paradigm shifts. LDS must compete with online retailers. The jist of what I was saying is support after the sale. I don't need help tossing a hog rig together, but how many that look at this might. At the same time I think we are at a point where the LDS must adapt to a new market or go the way of the dinosaur. I don't have the answer to the LDS vs net, if I did I would have enough dough to search for new wrecks:) just tossing my opinion in.

The package your LDS is offering you may indeed be very good, in comparison with what THEY normally charge for the same gear. In point of fact, it's like hotel rooms. Nobody pays rack rate -- and nobody pays full retail, unless they are very foolish. My guess is that the package deal you are being offered is a substantial savings off the full retail price . . . but not a savings at all when compared to any kind of discount shopping.

You've gotten a ton of good advice about not rushing into gear purchases. But I will say that the ability to try things on, and to get a local warranty and service, is worth some money. My first drysuit went back three times for warranty work; I would have had far more trouble with the issue, had I bought on line.

Treat it as you would any other major purchase....

1) Decide what you want/need. Do your research. Draw up a short-list.

2) Get multiple quotes.

3) Purchase the items that you want, at the best price.

From my experience, I'd estimate that 8/10 frequent divers who purchase kit directly from their training provider before, during or immediately after their entry level training normally end up dissatisfied with that kit and have to upgrade it within 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom