Spearguns and drygloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dryglove

Contributor
Reaction score
Do any of you dryglove users have problems with your gloves getting ripped or wearing fast from resetting the bands on your speargun. I have a set of the blue DC drygloves and am gonna start doing some more spearfishing but am not sure if my gloves are upto pulling the rubber slings without tearing the gloves or wearing them very quickly.

I also have a set of bullet proof kevlar lined 5mm gloves that i got from bob3 but is a pain to change the rings on and off. If anyone has any experience with spaerfishing and drygloves let me know.

in the winter around here, but use wet gloves - my "faves" for spearfishing are kevlar-palmed.

I have a pair that were originally made for waterskiing, and another pair that are 3mm that I use when the water is colder.

Have had zero trouble with either pair.... but neither are dry.

Water temps here in the winter get down in the mid 50s.....

I think ill use endurotech 5mm gloves for spearfishing.They are kevlar lined with a wrist seal making them warm and bulletproof. I just dont think the DC blue gloves will be able to take the abuse of resetting the slings repeatedly and would probably wear or tear quickly.

About 90% of the Endurotech Kevlar gloves I sell in CA are the 3mm, much less a pain to get on & off. Most folks seem to tolerate the chill just fine.
I can probably find a pair of knit Kevlar to go over the blue jobbies, but then you're looking at a fair amount of bulk.

Doesn't anyone make Kevlar with latex seals?
That way you can mount them to your rings and get the best of both worlds.
Durability and warmth.

There's just no way I'm diving without drygloves this time of year. But I keep hearing people talk about the blue gloves getting torn very easilly on wrecks, bug, rope, zebra muscles, etc.

grunzster,

I hate to break it to you, but the thread you are posting to is 2 years old.

Hope you don't expect a reply! :wink:

Wow talk about a blast from the past down memory lane. Actually my drygloves worked fine for my occasioanal spearfishing trips and replacement blue gloves are easily bought through bob3 for a decent price. Now changing them out is a different story but doable :D

SubMariner:
grunzster,

I hate to break it to you, but the thread you are posting to is 2 years old.

Hope you don't expect a reply! :wink:
True...but I figured I'd try here before starting a new thread.

Dryglove:
replacement blue gloves are easily bought through bob3 for a decent price. Now changing them out is a different story but doable :D
I know...it's a huge PITA to get them to line up. If I wear through and have to replace them every few years thats one thing. But to have to constantly change them, because they get ripped is something I don't want to deal with.

That's why I was wondering if they make them from any other more durable materials.

HEY!! I'm awake ...
You may want to check out the Viking rubber gloves, they're "easier" to install & more durable than the Smurfs.
To answer your question though, yes, there are Kevlar-palmed gloves made with a latex seal but they're stiffer than 2-day old pancakes.
£25 (about $47+) from Northern Diver
http://www.diveshop.co.uk/pages/accessories/gloves.html (bottom ones)
You can always add a knit Kevlar overglove to some lighter weight drygloves, bad thing about the knit Kevlar is it's OK against cut protection but not good for pokes, as from spines.
I sent my local ND rep an email last week, you want I should give a call?
There may be a sample pair here, I can look the size up if anybody's interested.

Back
Top Bottom