SpearGun Question??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kayak_Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been trying to decide on a spear-gun for both me and my son (age 12) to use in our local lake on cats. Visibility is often times less than 12ft. and although there have been reports of "Monster Cats that could swall'r a man whole!" We would rather eat them for dinner not the other way around so, figure on average 10 to 12 pounds. I have no idea what to choose based on what I read from the manufacturer's. Any suggestions would be appreciated, on length, material (wood, aluminum, etc.) and power or manufacturer's model number.

Thanks,

If you can get close, there is no need for a fancy and expensive speargun - A good three-prong should do the trick nicely.

I found that Liquid Production's dvd on spear fishing was well worth the money. Taught me a ton about choosing a speargun and using it, it goes over everything in great detail. I believe the DVD is "Bare Bones of Spearfishing," but I keep loaning it out to friends who want to learn about spearfishing, and don't have it here to check.

I have been trying to decide on a spear-gun for both me and my son (age 12) to use in our local lake on cats. Visibility is often times less than 12ft. and although there have been reports of "Monster Cats that could swall'r a man whole!" We would rather eat them for dinner not the other way around so, figure on average 10 to 12 pounds. I have no idea what to choose based on what I read from the manufacturer's. Any suggestions would be appreciated, on length, material (wood, aluminum, etc.) and power or manufacturer's model number.

Thanks,

According to South Carolina law, catfish are listed as "gamefish". They can only be taken with a hook and line....Don't get caught and don't advertise on the internet you are doing this.
You would be legal if you went after "non-game fish" such as carp .. or...
Go in the ocean and follow the spearfishing rules for saltwater.

According to South Carolina law, catfish are listed as "gamefish". They can only be taken with a hook and line....Don't get caught and don't advertise on the internet you are doing this.
You would be legal if you went after "non-game fish" such as carp .. or...
Go in the ocean and follow the spearfishing rules for saltwater.
I just hung up the phone with the State DNR and he said it is not illegal to use a spear gun while SCUBA Diving, to catch fish as long as you possess a valid SC fishing license. The only catfish SCDNR considers a "game fish" is the Blue. Flatheads and Channel are considered non-game fish. The ocean is 60 miles away, it is great for a long weekend, but when you just have a few hours after work to get wet, the lakes are 5 minutes away. I definately thank you for your advice, I just assumed it was legal for all fish, you prompted me to call them.

Might want to sign on on SpearBoard and also post in the SCUBABoard hunting section. You may get more response from Spearos in your local.

A 10-12 pounder can easily pull off a 3-prong paralyzer even if it has barbed tines. You and your son would be very upset on wasting a good fish. If interested in a polespear, talk to azspearo (Aaron) Ask Crist Spears - Spearboard Spearfishing Community what will work and how to set-up a good polespear.

You will probably be better off with a 75cm or less railgun. I would use a small pneumatic, but that is just because I have one. I can not recommend a pneumatic for your type of fishing.

It is probably best if there are some locals that have experience. I will look around on other boards to see if there is anyone.

I found a freshwater shooting section on SpearBoard. http://spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72

I just made my firs attempt at a pole spear and I will be trying simmilarly. I was upset about not being able to catch "game fish" with it. C'est la vie.

Since you are in the 10-15 pound range for the "cats" you do not NEED a huge gun. For limited visibility spearfishing, I use a single band Sporasub Aspic 55cm Speargun. About $70.00. Easy to load, lots of power; especially in the range of fish you are hunting. Pneumatics are ok, but pricey for your use. IMO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom