Question Speargun bands question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
NAZI ADMINS RUIN FORUMS. LEARN WHAT HUMOR IS, ASSHOLES. NO NEED TO BE A DICKHEAD JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE SOME PRETEND INTERNET "AUTHORITY".

Speargun newbie with some questions...

Can I change those to two 9/16 x 26 without losing too much power?
Yes. Even if you changed it to the exact same size & length as you have on there now you will notice a big increase in power....Just because the bands are new and have more snap. Latex bands loose power not only from use, but also from time as the latex degrades in the open air. I tie my own and change my bands every 6 months.
..., but I think a more practical range for me at least would be more like 20 feet. If I have to sacrifice a little range for easier loading that's OK but I don't want to render the gun wimpy with no practial use.
The JBL is an " Open Track " gun. On longer shots, even like 20feet, you are going to encounter shaft whip. This is when the shaft bends and twists and you can find Youtube videos about it by searching the term Archers Paradox. This is the number one factor on longer distance missed shots. Combined with a tethered line & old shaft, anything beyond 12ft is a hail-mary shot or a giant hole in the middle of your dinner filet. Remember>>Powerful Guns don't kill - Accuracy does.

would there be any reason I couldn't load two of them on one sharfin and the other on one?
You can load the bands on top of the shark fins which ever way is best for you. Since I don't know how your 3 bands line up, I can't tell you the best loading sequence. But what you want to accomplish is both 1)The bands don't cross when loaded, you want them to lay flat>stacked>& straight. 2)Don't tangle or rub your tethered line. Most spearos will load 2 bands on the farthest sharkfin and the 3rd band on the shorter length sharkfin if they lay flat and straight so the shaft fly's cleanly off the end of the muzzle.

Since you are just starting out, spend ALOT of time taking practice shots into the soft sand at a twig or dead plant and see how close your shaft comes to hitting it from 10-15ft away. Many of us just use a single band because it's more accurate and faster.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom