Speargun - Band vs. Pneumatic

What type of Spear Gun do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ceasar

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey everyone,

I've been diving close to a year, I proudly :D dive the Jersey shore. I have been using a 6ft. polespear and am looking to switch to something bigger better and faster. I'm looking for some direction, help, opinions. I can't decide which way to go, band or pneumatic? I have friends who swear by the Mares Cyrano 700... but while diving with them it looks tough to load...So i really was looking at band, i can use both of my hands and load it faster. I'm not a small dude, 6'2" - 240lbs. so i have been told that i really shouldn't worry about strength and loading a speargun. But I'm reaching out to ya'll for help... chime in all opinions are greatly appreciated... Thanks in advance

Ceasar:sos:

I have owned Cressi pneumatics, AB Biller band guns and Riffe band guns. The cressi was quick to load and easy to swing around in the water, but the Biller had a bit more range so there was a bit of give and take going on between them that had me feeling that they were pretty even. The Riffe is in a completely different category. I have two of them, they have ranges and accuracy that I didn't think were possible with spearguns. I'm quite pleased with them.

I have owned Cressi pneumatics, AB Biller band guns and Riffe band guns. The cressi was quick to load and easy to swing around in the water, but the Biller had a bit more range so there was a bit of give and take going on between them that had me feeling that they were pretty even. The Riffe is in a completely different category. I have two of them, they have ranges and accuracy that I didn't think were possible with spearguns. I'm quite pleased with them.

Kev, What happened to your "Gronk 70"? :D

Kev, What happened to your "Gronk 70"? :D

I shot too far back on a dunkleosteus and he swam off with it.

11653639.JPG

Hey cesar! I would go with a banded gun! I too had the same decision to make last year(banded or pneumatic) My buddy has both types of guns. I believe it was a mares cyrano also. Pneumatic are tough to load, you have to have ape length arms to pull the shaft into the gun. I guess with practice it would get easier with time. My buddy did say that the pneumatic had a lot more powerful punch than banded guns. If you are spearing on the jersey shore your typical game fish if tautog,fluke, may be stripper,the banded gun would be adaquete(sorry about the spelling). If you decide on getting a banded gun, next decision is which lenght would you get. I was deciding between either a 32 or 36 ab biller padauk wood(nice wood) gun. Don't get larger then 36 inch for shore diving-it gets in the way. I purchased the 32 inch over the 36 gun because i was comfortable using it(borrow from my buddy),and it got the job done(yummy)

I also wanted to add that the sand are very tough on pneumatic internals. Buddy pneumatic is DOA due to sand.

I'd like to mention some of the things people may forget about the two types. Unless you are close up shallow reef fishing where are short pneumatic is all you need, I'd believe the answer most times is banded. A few reasons: if you ever decide to drop on any deeper sites, the power of the pneumatic degrades with depth. (Yes you can over pressurize them but if has to be done at the surface - so you have to know where you're going to be shooting so it's a pain) Second you have to know if you are taking a low or high power shot before loading a pnuematic. lastly, the whole idea of having my hand in front of the shaft to load it seems less safe to me.

I'd think that a 48 band would give you versitility and effectiveness.

Back
Top Bottom