spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkoobaDyver

Reaction score
hey everyone, im 15 and i was thinking about beginning to spearfish down here in the florida keys. Does anyone know if i need a fishing license or if there is an age limit for spearfishing?
If i can do it then what would you recommend is a good speargun to start with?

You cant go wrong with any Riffe guns, they come n all sizes and styles. The equipment sales area of the Spear Board link doesnt seem to be on line yet.
Bill

If you buy a speargun:
Buy one with an aluminum handle, over plastic. Lot of stress on the trigger housing. Aluminum guns are cheaper (good guns though), stocks made of fine woods e.g. mahogany or teak are more neutrally bouyant, so you are not getting fatigued by having to hold your gun in position, and quieter, a little more cost.
If you are hunting in low viz, close up shots a shorter gun is appropriate, 2 bands, 3 if you need more power; if you hunt mod to larger fish with more viz and longer ranges you will use a longer gun for more range (there are other types of guns also, e.g., pneumatic, co2, etc.). By the time you move up to blue water hunting you have spent all your inheritance on a dive boat and tackle, your fiance has left you, but alls you can think about is spearing that 90 lb tuna (hey man, now you Know you have your priorities straight) :eek:ut: zeN||

Back
Top Bottom