spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not on the diveboats here.

I may be mistaken, but I think a speargun is not allowed in Thailand. If I'm right in that, as a foreigner I would not even consider having one on me.

Plus I don't like spearfishing anyway, would love it if Padi were to skip that from their programmes.

RYC,

Officially it's not allowed to spear fish in Thailand, to the best of my knowledge.

That doesn't mean you see local staff using them during dives..........

As Arizona mentioned, as a Westerner, don't even think about it.

To Arizona,

In my opinion, PADI has it as a specialty so it's done in a regulated form and participants know how to deal with the subject, rather than just going out and spearing as much as possible.

To Arizona,

In my opinion, PADI has it as a specialty so it's done in a regulated form and participants know how to deal with the subject, rather than just going out and spearing as much as possible.

Limbo,

I am not in on this discussion. I must confess not to know anything about this subject. It's not my thing.

Arizona (I guess my secret is out: AKA Steve but not the one posting above)

P.S. The Khram was great today :) Great coral with about 5-6m vis.

To Arizona,

Hi Limbo,

IMO: better no spearfishing at all, so I would love it if it were forbidden and PADI would not encourage it, which is of course done by offering a course.

Steven AKA Arizona

For what it's worth, I agree with "Steven" I would rather not dive near spearfishing.

Arizona (A nickname given to me while working in Sweden, based on my last residence in the US)

Interesting subject, on the Thaivisa diving forum there's a thread about spearfishing going on, I've asked for explanation of it being legal/illegal in Thailand, one poster suggested that it's only illegal in Marine Parks and another poster suggested that it's only illegal to sell spearguns in Thailand.

Another poster there mentioned that it's unlikely for the U/W Hunter to be kicked off PADI's
specialties list because it's so big in California.

Allright than, have a look here Spearfishing? - Thailand Forum

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom