Spearfishing curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shelly N

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Having read about regulations on lionfish hunting and spearfishing on Bonaire, we are curious about any such regulations on Curacao.

Dear Shelly,
Spearfishing (any spear with a trigger) is illegal on Curacao.

Regarding lionfish, please consult Curacao - CHATA Dive Task Force member for suggestions, guidance and advice.

Can anyone direct me to a government website that explains about this?

Specifically, may I bring in my pwn pole spear? May I hunt lionfish when diving with my dive partner and not an established dive operator?

We’re visiting this spring and are looking forward to some fresh lionfish dishes.

Hey divesergeant did you have any luck spearfishing on your own? Anyone know if you can hunt for lion fish without booking the guided tour?

Yes! I took my own pole spear and small fits-in-a-large-suitcase-sized ZooKeeper.

We found that there was no trouble at all with shooting lionfish. Basically, use only a pole spear and don’t shoot anything other than lionfish and you seem good to go. The only question I ever got asked by other divers and non-divers alike was “how many did you get?”

We bought a small styrofoam cooler and filled it with ice each day to hold any fish I got. I’d cut off the spines and put the fish in a double plastic bag and put the bags in the cooler to keep the fish cool until I found a place to clean them.

Sometimes it was a pain finding places to clean them. At remote sites I could often find a good place to duck in away from others. At times I cleaned them on some cardboard (think last nights carry out pizza box) and wrapped the spines and innerds up well. Basically, I made sure that nobody would get stuck accidentally.

Some dives I got several, some dives we saw none. But we did get quite a few and ate well.

Cheers!

Technically any spear fishing is not legal in Curacao and you can be fined and your catch confiscated. However... if with a sanctioned dive center, lion fish hunts are allowed.

When we go to Curacao, we have a friend thats a pro at getting lionfish. We normally get about 80 to 90 in 3 dives. I ice them down and clean them every morning before the next 3 dives. That way they are cold and stiff. I can fillet them out in like 30 seconds. I have cleaned way over 6,000 in my life and have been stuck about 20 times and usually its when I am cleaning them. But here is the secret. You suck and spit for 1 minute after being stuck and you never feel any pain. If you suck the venom out very soon and fast, it will not get in your blood stream. I have even been stuck on a dive and I take my reg out and suck and spit. Otherwise you will have 10 to 12 hours of really bad pain. Trust me, the first 2 times I got stuck, I found out the hard way. But for me, if you clip the spines off, they go all over the place and my buddy got one in his toe so I have a long sharp knife and I never cut the spines off. Just fillet them and leave all the spines on the fish. That way you know where they are.

Any update on hunting lionfish with a sling on your own? We will be visiting soon, and I only plan to shore dive with my buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom