Spear Band Tying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waytoodeep

Registered
Reaction score
So my bands are well past the replacement stage, even past the point of cutting off the ends and using them for the shorter tabs. I used to have a thin, white 3-strand, waxed 'string' to tie the wishbones in with, but seem to have lost the spool along with any idea of what it was made of or where to get it.
Anybody have any idea of what might serve the purpose?

..Anybody have any idea of what might serve the purpose?
I just use a "Quadruple" big knot on the end of my dyneema wishbones. But many others instead use a glass bead found at most craft stores. I use a dyneema thin line to tie my bands with a double constrictor knot cranked down so the knot is 1/3rd the size of the diameter of the latex band.

Both wishbones and beads (and kits) are available on line at any spearfishing supply store.

Thanks Johnoly, do you use dyneema for you gun line as well? Spectra? And what diameter would you recommend for the gunline?

Thanks Johnoly, do you use dyneema for you gun line as well? Spectra? And what diameter would you recommend for the gunline?

One of the biggest features I need for my shooting line on my Koah gun is I need it to hold it's "shape/set". Many types of Spectra and kevlar will float all over the place and tangle underwater. Monofilament line is great for holding it's shape, but is not as strong as spectra. I use a product called "MonoSpec". The line has a spectra jacket on the outside for strength and inside the core is a monofilament to help hold it's shape and together is the best of both worlds. I'm not sure if MonoSpec is still being made. If I then had to chose between mono and Spectra, I'd put on 400lb mono. I won't use spectra. The key to putting more fish in the cooler is both accuracy and extremely fast reload times before the school of fish depart. Many places also sell mono shooting line kits.

I use a product called "MonoSpec".
Couldn't find anything like that. Like the idea of something that doesn't float all over, especially since a freediver could get tangled and drown. Approximately what diameter is that anyway?

Akimbo: thanks for the good word. We offer a full
Selection of rigging tools and supplies. We also have several instructional videos and photo tutorials that walk you through some of this.

For the shooting line, monofilament nylon line is inexpensive, easy to work with and is resistant to tangling, so it is used for our stock setup and is the most popular choice.

I could put up links to relevant tutorials and gear options, but it would be way too long. Take a look at our site and we are always happy to answer questions.

Not too many years ago if 500 spearfishermen were questioned how they rig their guns you would possibly receive 500 different answers, especially in SoCal where spearfishing began. So many variables in every aspect of spearfishing nothing is standard.

It was often said that in SoCal if a spearfisherman purchases a gun on Friday night by Saturday morning there would be so many modifications to the speargun that it would not be recognizable as compares to the original speargun

Now the modern world of spearfishing spearguns, rigging and all accessories have become some what standardized

Spearfishermen are fortunate to have Dano ==a one stop shop for all modern spearfisherman's needs == No need to experiment, no need to shop around.

Sam Miller, III

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom