Space G Freeflow Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDoo83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been loving my Ocean Reef Space G FFM ever since I got. It completely eliminates fogging/leaking and breathes very well. However I have had some issues with freeflowing since day one that I have not yet been able to tame. The issues seem to really get worse when diving in the classic horizontal trim position of diving. Now that I am advancing in my diving career I am tuning my diving and focusing more on proper buoyancy and trim so these issues are bugging me now more than ever.

1) The biggest issue is that whenever I look straight down, with my chin just above my chest the mask will start supplying air even if I am not breathing in at the time. I can hear the reg pushing air until I raise my head up again to look forward. This wastes my gas and upsets my buoyancy. I have tried everything from adjusting the breathing control knob and the exhaust valve but nothing seems to stop it. This is my biggest issue with the mask as it really is a problem that will stop me from using the mask eventually.

2) The second issue is a bit more manageable but still a pain. Whenever I am in the horizontal trim position and I breath through my nose (when my nose is located close to the equalization posts) the mask with freeflow with full force and the mask will then "jump" violently back and forth from my face. I can usually curb this by breathing through my mouth instead but having to concentrate on this along with all of the other task loading is a real bummer.

As a beginner diver I did not notice these issues because my trim was horrible and I typically dove in a head up position. Now that I am advancing and trying to maintain proper form the Space G is beginning to cause enough problems for me that I might need to stop using the product. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The Space G is a great product and eliminates many typical mask issues but with the way it does not play well with proper dive techniques it may not be a lasting piece of equipment after all.

I've been loving my Ocean Reef Space G FFM ever since I got. It completely eliminates fogging/leaking and breathes very well. However I have had some issues with freeflowing since day one that I have not yet been able to tame. The issues seem to really get worse when diving in the classic horizontal trim position of diving. Now that I am advancing in my diving career I am tuning my diving and focusing more on proper buoyancy and trim so these issues are bugging me now more than ever.

1) The biggest issue is that whenever I look straight down, with my chin just above my chest the mask will start supplying air even if I am not breathing in at the time. I can hear the reg pushing air until I raise my head up again to look forward. This wastes my gas and upsets my buoyancy. I have tried everything from adjusting the breathing control knob and the exhaust valve but nothing seems to stop it. This is my biggest issue with the mask as it really is a problem that will stop me from using the mask eventually.

2) The second issue is a bit more manageable but still a pain. Whenever I am in the horizontal trim position and I breath through my nose (when my nose is located close to the equalization posts) the mask with freeflow with full force and the mask will then "jump" violently back and forth from my face. I can usually curb this by breathing through my mouth instead but having to concentrate on this along with all of the other task loading is a real bummer.

As a beginner diver I did not notice these issues because my trim was horrible and I typically dove in a head up position. Now that I am advancing and trying to maintain proper form the Space G is beginning to cause enough problems for me that I might need to stop using the product. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The Space G is a great product and eliminates many typical mask issues but with the way it does not play well with proper dive techniques it may not be a lasting piece of equipment after all.

See if this helps. As you know, the exhaust ports on your mask are at the bottom of the mask. However, when you look down the mask rotates and the exhaust ports are no longer at the lowest part of the mask. Since air flows up the air in the mask will start to escape through the exhaust ports which causes the free flow to occur. So when you tilt your head down, or descend with your head down you need to turn down the air flow knob on the left side of the mask to reduce the amount of air that is entering the mask. That should help with the free flow issue but if it doesn't please let me know. (offline I am bob@scubabobphoto.com). The same adjustment should solve your second issue as well. Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom